got to Antigua! Mad Mongoose - Happy hour

Jamesuk

Visit site
Well it took 22 days so much for better winds in Feb/March than November. We had 3 knots at times with a boat speed range of 1.9 on a bad day and 9.5 on a good day. but we only had two of the latter the rest would give us an average speed of 5 knots.

Not that great for a yacht worth £5,000,000 brand new.... These modern classics!!

Anyway it is good to have arrived here is what went wrong.

Engine throttle failed
Cure - a line to keep the throttle from slipping did the job

Gear Box oil heat exchanger fail
Cure - Recycle oil using a cut bottle to capture the drips.

Ran out of food
Cure - Fishing rod

Generator fail
Cure - Fuel line blockage

Auto Pilot fail
Cure - Self steer New auto pilot in Antigua

Refrigeration fail
Cure - Replace raw water pump.

all in all average crossing.

cheers James

Jamesuk

Visit site
Thanks for the report, & well done, but how come you ran out of food on a 22 day atlantic crossing? That's a reasonable passage time, but had you planned on much faster?

Long story short - the captain did not buy enough food. I had to baby sit the yacht while they went shopping and I said right there - this is not enough. But he said "were going". His longest trip had been 35 days on a 30footer 30 years ago so we thought he would have stashed beans somewhere around but no.

Anyway losing weight is a good thing. also having just had a chat in Mad Mongoose with a chap who rowed on his own 6 years ago taking 116 days put the whole thing in perspective with regards to food and time.

http://www.tinysatlanticrow.com/index.html

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Cheers :D obviously he doesn't remember stocking up for the first trip then! Part of the joy of an Ocean crossing should be fresh fish anyway, I guess (never having done it).

Arriving looking like slim bronzed Gods sounds a good plan too. :cool:

VO5

Visit site
I'm told that there isnt much fish in mid ocean - they are mostly on the continental shelf or similar waters.

No, that is a myth. There are fish all the way across. But you can only get monsters if you sail fast. At speeds of 2 or 3 knots there is ample variety of 3 - 6 pounders to be had, maui, snappers, small tunny, etc., and no bait, just appropriate spinners.

Nearing the coast, sardines, mackerel, using multiple hooks with feathers.:D

Also in mid ocean there is an abundance of life, turtles, dolphins...

Bajansailor

Visit site
I agree with VO5, there are plenty fish out there - I have sailed across a couple of times, and if we decided we wanted fish for supper we just chucked out the line and it wouldnt be too long before we caught something.

First fish after leaving the Canaries was a 20 lb tuna - luckily we had a fridge and freezer on board. That kept 3 of us going for some time.....
A few days later chucked the line out again - and caught another 20 lb tuna...... couldnt face any more tuna, so threw him back and caught a nice small dorado instead.

You dont need anything too fancy - we caught the tunas on a hook that had a bit of white rag on it, and on the later trip we used a pink squid just skipping along in the wake, one boat length behind. The faster the better - at 8 knots the fish hasn't got much time to make a decision about if to go for it or not.

James, sounds like your crossing was not the most harmonious - I guess you are not allowed to tell us which $ 5 million classic you were on? :)

Hope no Cavalier rum hangovers after a happy hour (or 2) session in the Mad Mongoose.....:)

rich

www.portofjersey.je
James,

Have you met JILLY yet, she has just arrived Antigua,

They have no motor and were at anchor,
She's a mad English /Jersey\ woman thats lived in Aussie & Mongolia,

The best of luck when you bump in to her :D
PS give her my love, from Rich in Jersey.

Last edited:

Richard Shead

Slipped Anchor
Visit site
Mad Mongoose

I met my first wife in there....

Most expensive Long Island Ice Tea I have ever bought.....

But to be fair I do have an amazing daughter as a result!

Enjoy Sailing Week, I cant make it this year because of Liverpool Boat Show.....which of course has now been cancelled but too late to change plans.

Jamesuk

Visit site
I agree with VO5,

First fish after leaving the Canaries was a 20 lb tuna - luckily we had a fridge and freezer on board. That kept 3 of us going for some time.....
A few days later chucked the line out again - and caught another 20 lb tuna...... couldnt face any more tuna, so threw him back and caught a nice small dorado instead.

That is funny,

We had the same luck with catching fish but the Skipper was so stubborn that he continued at speed without thought for his crew's needs and so the lines broke, the reel had a fit and the hand lines snapped in a second.

We had two, probably Dolphin fish hook on at the same time (a pair) had we stopped we would have had a rare fishing extravaganza but the skipper carried on with his course and speed. Snap then SNAP both gone with XX amount worth of fishing gear.

Anyway just have to build the experience to get to be the skipper next time or have the owner on board (the keen one).

As for the Goose well didnt marry anyone. Under strict instructions not to do so by the owner lol.

Will be crossing again this time with the ARC so should have more joy then.

Cheers James

capnsensible

Visit site
Last time I was there :) in Nelsons Dockyard was a couple of boats that had been rowed over. On display by the Wardroom building.

Incredible!

Took my wife to the Mad Mongoose and got her the T shirt......

jonic

www.jryachts.com
Don't forget the Espresso Martini's in the Skullduggery :D

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_2047.JPG