Gosport to Gibraltar

Secret Smile

Visit site
Hi
We are planning to start a new life style as live aboard cruisers on our Dufour 38 Classic this summer. I am currently preparing by upgrading my charging and battery capacity. Improving the chart table (to include a backboard for new plotter, tridata, battery monitor and additional switch panel.) New suite of sails, new canvas inc bimini and stack away, new standing rigging inc additional stay for storm gib and heavy weather gib, extra anode and folding prop and anti foul. Any other suggestions incase I have forgotten something vital.

We intend to cross to France and coastline hop until we cross the bay of biscay (in a good weather window) and then down the coast again and in to Gibraltar. I have not been on this route before, is there anything I should consider. I should explain I am not a complete novice (actually a qualified Ocean Yachtmaster and my partner is a Day Skipper) but a wise old man once said "you should listen to any advice - we can all learn from the experience of others"

I am aware that the planning of route has been on a back burner compared with getting the boat ready and of course the house ready for letting!!! I am allowing 35 days to get to Gibraltar - although if it takes longer there is no stress. Without stops it would take just under 12 days, but that is not realistic if we want to stay together and live aboard for longer than a season.

Interested in any advice and previous experience. We are hoping for some friends to join us on this leg (vital if we are to keep valid insurance across biscay).

Yours

Secret Smile
Edit/Delete Message

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
In the same boat (ba-boom) except starting next year. And except we plan to take two years to get to Lagos (leaving the boat overwinter in France), going into the Med in year three. It's possible to do the trip almost all as day sailing, and we reckon we're unlikely to get a second chance to sail into every nook and cranny of the entire French/Spanish/Portuguese Atlantic coast, so we might as well do it this time. Do you need to be in an unseemly rush?

douglas_family

Visit site
Hi
We are planning to start a new life style as live aboard cruisers on our Dufour 38 Classic this summer. I am currently preparing by upgrading my charging and battery capacity. Improving the chart table (to include a backboard for new plotter, tridata, battery monitor and additional switch panel.) New suite of sails, new canvas inc bimini and stack away, new standing rigging inc additional stay for storm gib and heavy weather gib, extra anode and folding prop and anti foul. Any other suggestions incase I have forgotten something vital.

Edit/Delete Message

solar pannels (get a couple of big ones 250W or more) electric anchor windless if you haven't got one.

Secret Smile

Visit site
Rush....

I have set an objective to get to Gibraltar for a number of reasons.

If you hasve no goal you just become drift wood!

I will have extra funds by the time of hoped arrival to Gibraltar - and it is a VAT free zone - so any work that we do not get done prior to leaving we can get done when we get there.

We are learning Spanish and intend to start exploring spain (slowing the pace once we get there)

My insurance company has told me they do not insure after October across Bay of Biscay - so even if our time scale slips drastically - we should get across in plenty of time.

No plan survives contact with the enemy - and we can change our mind on route. So the plan is only a start point. But take your point - you must enjoy the ride!!!!

So where are you planning on visiting - whole point of asking on this forum is that our plan can evolve - it is not set in stone.

Thanks

Secret Smile

Secret Smile

Visit site
solar pannels (get a couple of big ones 250W or more) electric anchor windless if you haven't got one.

Have got one 65 Watt solar panel and a wind generator at present. Not sure where I could fit any more solar panels at the moment. But will bear it in mind.

Generating power weighs heavy on my mind.

Water is my next worry.

:)

We already have a windless !!!!

Secret Smile

Visit site
Arcona

Very nice - there is an Arcona in Ocean Village Mariner (where we currently are) and it looks beautiful. Was not in my budget - but think they look great.

We are going for 10 - 15 years starting with first few years in the Med - so who knows - maybe we will bump in to you.

I want to go across the atlantic and then in to the pacific - but partner needs a little convincing. I have crossed the atlantic (but it was in the bullet proof Challenge 67)

But love the Carribean.

Anyway - Bonvoyage and fair winds to you
Can't wait to start

Gavin

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Secret Smile

there was a similar thread within the last week about where to go on the way down to Gib.

My favourite: Camarinas; just for the marina master :) Good walks there too

maxi77

Visit site
My tip is don't hurry. It is fine to have an objective, and a plan, but you are doing this for enjoyment so allow time to enjoy things. There are plenty of good stops on the way and that is one of the reasons for doing it.

Another thought is to be able do as much cooking with AC power rather than gas as the leccy is included everywhere you will stop in marinas. After 8 months we are still on our second calor bottle.

We took 8 weeks to the Algarve after leaving the UK largely driven by the insurance deadline to exit the bay and enjoyed every minute. There are many super places to pass a night or two in France, Spain and Portugal. We found some but missed many so do not rush.

macd

Visit site
As half the previous posts have said: don't rush. There's far too much to see along the way, particularly much of Brittany and, above all, the Spanish rias. Do check out the earlier thread of recommended stopovers along the way. Make your goal enjoying it, not some distant harbour.

Incidentally, Gib may be duty-free but that doesn't necessarily make it cheap for all things boaty.

Water won't be a problem unless you're unusually rash, but it sounds like you'd benefit from more solar.

And if you see a blue Rival 32 going the other way, could you lob a jar of Marmite aboard?

Enjoy!

Richard10002

Visit site
Camarinas is a nice bay to anchor in. Didnt get off, so cant comment on shoreside. Seemed to be some nice little beaches around the bay. All very well protected from the weather.

Baiona is a place worth spending some time. Plenty of space to anchor off. Marinas not too expensive compared to the Algarve and the Med.

Lexioes is a dumpy marina in the corner of a commercial port. However, there is a lovely square at the top of the hill opposite the port entrance, with some super restaurants.

Cascais - Worth a visit, but expensive marina... Anchor off if poss.

Lagos... spent a very pleasant 9 months there over winter 06/07.

For Info. Pantaenius dont limit when you can cross Biscay. I guess this doesnt mean you can cross during a hurricane in December but, if you're a little late, and get caught out and damaged, (like someone here a few years ago), they wont wriggle out due to the date.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Secret Smile, morning!

Can I offer a couple of Gib top tips?

First is to book a berth early. Its better to ring and say you have been delayed than turn up (its always daft o'clock) and be turned away. Its very busy here from June to October.

To get goods vat free they must be sent 'for yacht in transit' from outside Gib. Collecting stuff is fairly easy but will involve a bit of walking. Be prepared for time delays between ordering and arrival of gear. Sheppards dont carry stock like they used to, but will do clearance for stock items and deliver to your boat. For UK items, check that delivery charge doesn't eat up vat saved!

We have had all sorts of work done here on boats over the years, so do PM if you need a specific contractor, we are, out of necessity (!) good at knowing the cheapest!

Have a good trip.

CS

Blue5

Visit site
Hi

We intend to cross to France and coastline hop until we cross the bay of biscay (in a good weather window) and then down the coast again and in to Gibraltar. I have not been on this route before, is there anything I should consider. I should explain I am not a complete novice (actually a qualified Ocean Yachtmaster and my partner is a Day Skipper) but a wise old man once said "you should listen to any advice - we can all learn from the experience of others"

I am aware that the planning of route has been on a back burner compared with getting the boat ready and of course the house ready for letting!!! I am allowing 35 days to get to Gibraltar - although if it takes longer there is no stress. Without stops it would take just under 12 days, but that is not realistic if we want to stay together and live aboard for longer than a season.

Interested in any advice and previous experience. We are hoping for some friends to join us on this leg (vital if we are to keep valid insurance across biscay).

Yours

Secret Smile
Edit/Delete Message

Small world, we are doing the same, also in a Dufour, also from Gosport, leaving late April..............we will be going via Channel Islands and the around the bay, hope to take about 3 months.