Gosport Premier at low water

Georgio

georgeisted.blogspot.com
A warning to others…

Had a bit of fun yesterday evening as I couldn’t get on my berth due to lack of water, the marina offered me another temporary berth that was also to shallow, third time lucky and I stayed afloat on the third berth offered. I saw at least one other boat (30’ish) with a similar problem and waiting for the tide to rise while stuck fast.

It was a pretty big spring tide but still not great for an marina with “24-hour access” and I only draw about 1.7m.

I’m not knocking the marina because the staff and facilities are great but they need to do some dredging soon.

Blue5

Visit site
A warning to others…

Had a bit of fun yesterday evening as I couldn’t get on my berth due to lack of water, the marina offered me another temporary berth that was also to shallow, third time lucky and I stayed afloat on the third berth offered. I saw at least one other boat (30’ish) with a similar problem and waiting for the tide to rise while stuck fast.

It was a pretty big spring tide but still not great for an marina with “24-hour access” and I only draw about 1.7m.

I’m not knocking the marina because the staff and facilities are great but they need to do some dredging soon.

Its been mentioned before on here. There were a lot of complaints at the last very low springs.

Problem is that dredging costs money............

Blue5

Visit site
As far as a quick google can tell me, there are 575 berths there, costing about £490 per metre per annum. If we assume a modest average of 10m, that's just under three million pounds berthing fees income per annum.

How much does a bit of dredging cost?

It was very tongue in cheek, I am all too aware of the income I provide a small piece of it...........

Daedelus

Visit site
Should have come to the berth holders meeting on Sunday!

Quite a lot of complaint about shallows and 24 hour non-access. Premier said they were arranging a survey then they have to apply for permission (environmental and QHM) then they have to get the directors to fork out the money then they have to book the dredging company then they have to wait for winter then....

teensy bit of pro-action here would have helped. Let's face it, it can't have happened overnight -can it?

Perhaps we could start a new group - The stick in the muds. What do you think?

Talulah

Visit site
If dredging doesn't happen this winter I foresee a number of boats including mine moving elsewhere.
What was really funny was on Sunday when they couldn't launch boats from their dry stack.
On their forklift the metalwork extends about 1.5 metres below the level of the forks and this was hitting bottom.
There was much scratching of heads going on.

I have emailed HO to add to the complaints.

Last edited:

arto

Visit site
Gosport Marina definitely has some shallow patches. At around 5pm on Sunday, with a predicted tide height of about 0.5m above CD, there were plenty of boats (including mine) that I think would have difficulty in moving. This seems noticeably worse than last year.

One particularly obvious example was this Bavaria 40, sitting a good 8 inches or so above its normal waterline:
P10303901.jpg

Last edited:

Chrissie

Visit site
I can just see my mast in the background, mine gets very shallow and I am nearer the outer edge.

The boat in the photo is for sale, under very sad circumstances.