Good News at The London Array.

Cobra

Visit site
What a result!

Well...that can only be considered as a result!

Now just got to hope they take all these godforsaken windmills down and build a couple of well placed Nuclear Power stations to replace them!

The sooner society realises that the windfarms cannot and will not provide the level of electricity needed in this country the better. Cheap sustainable Nuclear Power HAS to be the answer!

tidclacy

Visit site
No the answer is surely a mix of all types so we do not put all our baskets in one egg.

But agree wind farms are a blot on the seascape and without subsidy's would they exists? Pos withdrawal of same has led to this cancellation?

GrumpyOldGit

Visit site
Well...that can only be considered as a result!

Now just got to hope they take all these godforsaken windmills down and build a couple of well placed Nuclear Power stations to replace them!

The sooner society realises that the windfarms cannot and will not provide the level of electricity needed in this country the better. Cheap sustainable Nuclear Power HAS to be the answer!

+1:)

pks1702

Visit site
I am no lover of the RSPB who have their own agenda and b*gger anyone else but on this occasion they have done us a favour.

Cantata

Visit site
Yes, the reason given is they can't guarantee the safety of the Red-Throated Diver population so they don't feel they will ever get the permissions to go ahead. But I do wonder if perhaps it's more to do with the government rumblings about decreasing the subsidies paid to windfarm developers.
As it would have meant more export cables, that would probably have meant more surprise 'rock berms' on the shallows south of the Kentish Flats windfarm, not to mention more months of mucking about with cables in my home waters of the Swale. So I'm not sorry, at all.

Colvic Watson

Visit site
If only there was a predictable force pushing billions of gallons of seawater up and down our coasts everyday, that would be a miraculous source of power. Sadly no one has invented "tides" yet.

tillergirl

Visit site
... but a surprising number of people have experienced the power they generate, especially when running against you.

Which surely must lead to an Anorak question: Name the two spots in the Estuary where the highest tidal rates will be experienced? (no, the Deben and Ore entrances are not in the 'Estuary' for this question - I'm talking about the wide open remote spaces)

Last edited:

Cantata

Visit site
Which surely must lead to an Anorak question: Name the two spots in the Estuary where the highest tidal rates will be experienced? (no, the Deben and Ore entrances are not in the 'Estuary' for this question - I'm talking about the wide open remote spaces)

Er....in the Kentish Flats and London Array windfarms??

tillergirl

Visit site
That's one. Twix (old anorak word) No 4 and No 6 - 2.6kts on ebb. There is one slightly worse in the Estuary and two 'snorters' out of the area we would call the Estuary but within our wider compass (pretentious anorak English usage)

tillergirl

Visit site
Two and a half miles due east of the Orford Ness Lighthouse is one of the two 'snorters': in fact the worst in our area (I think). Can reach 3 kts on the ebb (although most tidal diamonds show it as 2.9kts max). The other 'out of our area, is 2.8 kts just SW of the Sandettie.

North Edinburgh does get to 2.6 on the ebb - always assuming the North Edinburgh is still there after the dumping of the spoil from the dredging of the Princes Channel. But there is one other place within the Estuary slightly - only by 0.1kt - higher.