good boat for liveaboard

bernieoldham

Visit site
i realise this is a hell of a question to ask , im a complete beginner at sailing only training is 5 days live aboard doing the competent crew course . but i know deep down this is what i want to do .my question is what is a good boat to buy, to sail single handed most of the time and live aboard . i have saved up like a madman ,for the last 7 years . i want something mid 1980s at least .i dont fancy buying a cheaper one to start, then upgrading. i want to dive in the deep end .i quite fancy a moody 30 mk1 or mk11 ,but its only for cosmetic reasons .
my budget is 40k tops any advice or help is really appreciated thanks in advance

<hr width=100% size=1>

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site
Hi To give any advice at all people need more info. Are you going to live aboard full time? Will you have a house/ some where to keep things too? Are you going to be in the UK are you planning to travel?

Anyway as a rough first stab, 30' seems way too small for full time life aboard.
As a couple we have a big 40' and it just about right for 2 of us, but for 1 person you do not need much less space, your pans, computer, toys etc all take up the same space. Boat volume is really important on average live boards sail less than 1 day in 10. In the last year of live aboard we have done less miles that when we lived in the UK and sailed weekend, holidays etc. So remeber you are looking for a boat to LIVE in more than a boat to sail.

Good hunting. Check out YM this month and I think March there are stories of our departure.

pete

<hr width=100% size=1>PB

bernieoldham

Visit site
hi and thanks for the reply . first couple of years i plan on living aboard (summer only) around anglesey to gain experience maybe odd trip to ireland and isle of man when confidence and ability increase.then who knows.i would love a 40 footer but price seems to climb dramatically over 32 33 feet unless its old or in need of some restoration. i thought about buying from spain but was told i would be slapped for vat when i brought it back into the uk. ideally i could do with a recent book written by someone in same boat as me (sorry about pun) i could gleam info from .i know what i want to do but dont have sufficent knowledge of experience to put it into practise .before i start parting with 30- 40k i want to know what im doing and have no regrets .my misfortune is being born to far from the sea and not discovering it untill i hit 40.thanks again pete ill be following you departure and good luck

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
If your priority is living onboard recommend that you look at a catamaran. You will get a lot more space with better views and better ventilation than an equivalent monohull. Older designs are not so good to windward as modern ones, but the same is also true of monohulls. if your budget is in the £30-40k bracket, it is worth looking at Prout Quest 31 or 33, or a 9m Catalac. For all of these you should get a boat in really good condition, and have money left for the necessary Liveaboard add-ons (heating mains plumbing and modern electronic toys)

<hr width=100% size=1>

CharlesM

Visit site
Bernie

Regarding VAT - if the boat has had VAT paid anywhere in the EEC then you will not need to pay VAT again (unless it was previously sold outside the EEC... and not subsequently inside again)

Charles

<hr width=100% size=1>

bernieoldham

Visit site
funny thing that i was looking at a prout on http://www.boatshed.co.uk/viewboat.php?boat=3442
i fancied the idea of a cat ,more deck space etc ,but whats the situation when it comes to berths cat being a lot fatter .its starting to look like i need to book a cheap flight to spain (for research) itll give me some ideas of whats available and prices .this is going to sound completely silly ,but common sense tells me monohulls are like a cork difficult to capsize wind will deflect off the sails when keeled over (hope its right word) so it will right itself but not sure about what would happen in gale force winds in cat .mainsail obviously reefed , excuse my ignorance . charles is their an official form the boat must have to say vat as been paid ie eu form no #####
thanks everyone for your advice i now have more of an idea what im looking for

<hr width=100% size=1>

AndrewB

Visit site
Proof of VAT payment.

You may find the advice HERE useful. If you buy a yacht built before 1985 without evidence of VAT payment, make sure you have clear proof of its age and that it was built in EC.

However, some of your questions suggest that you do not have much experience. I think you would be best advised not to go too fast at this but to aim at building up your sailing experience a bit, assuming you do want a yacht you can sail as well as live on.

The minimum size of yacht comfortable for one to liveaboard is very much a personal thing. Many people have found yachts of 30-32' quite adequate. A catamaran normally costs 50% more than a monohull of the same length to berth in marinas, but it varies.

bernieoldham

Visit site
Re: Proof of VAT payment.

thanks for info andrew ive saved as favorite for future reference.i now have more of a idea of what i want .than when i started this post . 1 question i still have is if i get a prout and moor it in menai straits , after passing day skipper course .i would feel happier if i had an experinced sailor on board for a week to pick his brains.and show me the ropes. at this moment in time i dont know any .how would i go about getting a onboard tutor ie local sailing clubs or forums like this , is it the done thing. what should i pay him . i should be experienced enough after course but im very wary. cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

ubuysa

Visit site
Experience

<font size=1> i should be experienced enough after course but im very wary</font size=1>

Don't for a moment equate passing an RYA course with experience. I've progressed from beginner like you up to passing my Coastal Skipper exam - but I'm most definitely NOT experienced! (I do reckon I'm safe though, and that was my objective). Getting an experienced sailor on board for a week is a good idea, most schools do own boat tuition, so ask sailing schools near you. Even then you won't be experienced though.

We're plan to head for the Med this year, and I will have a delivery skipper come with us to get us into the Med, I expect to learn much from him/her and the trip. Then we plan to gradually build our own experience by venturing futher afield in small stages. What's that saying..."There are old skippers and there are bold skippers...........".

Tony C.

<hr width=100% size=1>There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Other threads that may be of interest