Golden Globe - she does it

capnsensible

Visit site
Well of course you did, because you are so utterly superior to everyone else here.
Anyhoo...
There were no links to live feed on the GGR website that I could see, and only discovered them via remarks on other websites that pointed to Youtube and even (apparently!) Arsebook - and what normal person would ever have expected to look there?
Even the Youtube link was several/many lines down and not at all obvious. Nor did it even work at the critical time
Universally regarded as an utter, incompetent clumsy PR and media disaster but doubtless Capt"sensible" believes otherwise...
Oh well...!
Well if 'superior' means being mentally able to make two clicks on a screen, then the bar is set rather low, don't you think?

:rolleyes:

Blueboatman

Visit site
Re Slowboat35 ..”But especially as a Tradewind owner I just weep for Puffin.”

I know !

As a former R36 owner I really hated seeing the loss of one in the last race , particularly as I had that boats old mainsail as a get-me-home spare from her original owner .
All that planning and modifying and preparing , gone . Hey ho

One can’t help wondering, with our -perhaps - longer term ownership and knowing of ‘ just how’ these boats behave and cope, what might one have done differently oneself , under pressure and tired and and ..

Last edited:

dunedin

Visit site
I've not seen a bleat about this really quite historic event in any UK media so far.
What the digamma is the McIntyre doing with his time? How are the sponsors getting value for their money?
To be fair to the UK media, it has been in the yachting magazines.

Can’t see why it would be in the mainstream UK press - one of many round the world sailing races, with small fleet and with no apparent UK connection? Perhaps if it started or finished in the UK it might have had some South coast coverage.

But sailing doesn’t feature in the papers, even the sports pages. Our Olympic team yesterday got two golds and a silver at major event but gets no coverage. Even if we win European or World Championships in an Olympic event it isn’t covered.
Hence can hardly expect coverage for a small French / Australian boat race with no UK finishers?

Well done to the three home so far

Blueboatman

Visit site
Sailing in all its forms seems to run through the French dna and be actively encouraged, supported and reported , and made affordable to all with community run marinas etc

Remember , the GGR was intended to be run out of Falmouth until it moved to Les Sables..

Iirc the first GGR was the Sunday Times GGR!

robmcg

Visit site
Sailing in all its forms seems to run through the French very dna ..

Remember , the GGR was intended to be run out of Falmouth until it moved to Les Sables..

Iirc the first GGR was the Sunday Times GGR!
Very true. I think Les Sables had the infrastructure to accommodate such a race. Nowhere in the UK really had that. We went to Falmouth for the start of the GGR feeder race to Les Sables back in 2018. It wasn't a packed event, not like in France. For the French, sailing is an everyman's sport with good participation at a local level. Somehow in the UK, sailing is viewed as elitist and marina's etc charge accordingly.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Very true. I think Les Sables had the infrastructure to accommodate such a race. Nowhere in the UK really had that. We went to Falmouth for the start of the GGR feeder race to Les Sables back in 2018. It wasn't a packed event, not like in France. For the French, sailing is an everyman's sport with good participation at a local level. Somehow in the UK, sailing is viewed as elitist and marina's etc charge accordingly.
I bet that was fun though watching the feeder ? Lucky you 👍

Kola

Visit site
How could an organiser of such a PR led race manage to miss the vinegar stroke when the moment the winner learned she wasn't an also ran - Missed opportunity of the year or whay? Up to the finish coverage was appalling due to gash equipment and evidently amateurish, untested loose electrical contacts. Even then the link collapsed precisely at the critical time of the finish, and then in the dock the cackhanded ossie goon dropped his mic in the oggin and couldn't figure how to plug it in again...
Universally regarded as an utter, incompetent clumsy PR and media disaster but doubtless Capt"sensible" believes otherwise...
The US viewers would describe it as "cluster#uck".
They wouldn't be wrong.
If GGR is to be run again there needs to be a paradigm shift in Professionalism, presentation, media management, competence and lots more.
I've not seen a bleat about this really quite historic event in any UK media so far.
What the digamma is the McIntyre doing with his time? How are the sponsors getting value for their money?

Cluster#uck IS the word for it.
McIntyre, i have followed the two GGR's and he now is a total PITA to listen to. Top of his (easy todo) list should be a decent outdoor microphone. Incredible achievement by all that finished.

robmcg

Visit site
I bet that was fun though watching the feeder ? Lucky you 👍
It was a great couple of days. The boats were at Falmouth visitor haven and you could head down to the pontoons to check them out. Saw quite a few entrants milling around, Don and Sir RKJ too. The parade of sail was good and we then watched the start from the cliffs up by Pendennis Castle. Weather was good too and we met some great people. Shame the feeder race was from Gijon for the 2022 start.

Other threads that may be of interest