Golden Globe Race

Motor_Sailor

Visit site
All the antifouling vendors were happy to provide commercial grade TBT based antifouling to the competitors. It's not hard to consider a sponsored boat to be 'commercial'.

Now whether they all asked for it is another matter.

And as many of them were refitted in Falmouth, it's actually quite difficult to avoid being offered the big ship stuff. There seems to be a constant stream of people driving around boatyards on a Sunday offering 'left overs' from the ship refit yards.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Sorry, people, but TBT antifouling was banned for use on ships in the IMO AFS Convention, passed in 2001 and in force since 2008, and trade in tributyltin compounds of any sort is banned under the Rotterdam Convention, passed in 1998 and in force since 2004.

Anyone who has bought "some of the good stuff" "under the counter" "from a commercial shipyard" has been "had", and they deserved to be "had", for environmentally filthy behaviour.

Anyone who thinks that merchant ship antifouling, formulated to be used on hulls making at least ten knots for most of the time, would work on a yacht, has not thought carefully about the subject, and could usefully refer back to Captain Holden's post no 298.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
44724354205_858c8fc0be_z.jpg

I Imagine quite a few people are glad to see that smile.

Here's more, fresh off the boat from Hobart....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36446557@N07/44724354205/in/dateposted/

?????
Hmmm. It's not actually 'Adult Content'. Maybe you need a Facebook account to see these still pics of Susie Goodall and her 'DHL Starlight' arriving at the Hobart 'pit stop'.

Last edited:

Milestone

Visit site
I don't know if you guys have access to Facebook, but in the comments in the link below, they translate Tapio's satellite call. In which He says ; that his boatyard had, without informing Tapio, changed the planned antifouling to something less toxic, conforming to strict finnish Baltic Sea regulations. That means it will be a helluva job to clean that bottom, and even after that it will probably foul up again pretty soon.

Crazy round the world prep??!!

https://www.facebook.com/1751709878415736/posts/2156232201296833/

zoidberg

Visit site
Look at that Zhik smock La Goodall is wearing at Hobart ( and othr pics from same source ). It's pristine! Spotless! Probably still has the 'new' swing tickets on, just like those worn by Solent girlie instructors up at The Folly Inn, of a night. D'you think she kept this one just for the photo-call?

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
What's Port of Refuge status they're saying Susie is seeking? Is that like Chichester class and out of the main GGR? I know the rules say you can't enter port but can anchor in baysbut is this some sort of exemption due to weather?

Applespider

Visit site
There's no reference to it in the Notice of Race (having just searched the document) so will probably be another direct ruling from Don. As they're running out of entrants and are only halfway around, I suspect he'll say that by calling to say that she was seeking a port of refuge and so long as she stays out of a port boundary etc, he'll class that as an approved stopover and it will be OK. I seem to recall that the last person who did it on the way down the Atlantic didn't call up ahead so got demoted; but then got reinstated with a time penalty. Who knows - it might depend what side of bed Don got out this morning? :rolleyes-new:

I'm not sure the rules do say you can anchor in bays given the first rule above. Does anchoring out count as immobilisation of the boat?

3.1.2 Non-stop It is understood and agreed that the course does not stop and does not allow any stopovers. Any immobilization of the boat or disembarkation of the skipper will be limited as described in relation to the Chichester section.

3.1.8 Stopovers or assistance If for any reason whatsoever, an entrant receives materiel assistance of any kind or makes an unapproved stopover in a port, then after consideration of all the facts and at the sole discretion of the GGR Director the entrant will be automatically placed in the Chichester one-stop class

zoidberg

Visit site
There's a monster storm swirling in from the SW, which is likely to catch Istvan Kopar - unless he can get in to the shelter of the Kingston Beach 'pit stop' bay just in time - and Tapio, further back, is likely to get pasted with sustained >55knot winds. Susie has already turned back north into the sheltered Port Arthur bay area with the intention of anchoring and sitting out the storm.

This pic shows positions at 0100UTC Thursday 01 Nov, with the storm overlay advanced to show the forecast winds for 0000hrs UTC 03 Nov.

45607250172_392a9cb96a_z.jpg

However the Race Committee address the 'Rules' conundrum, it seems Susie has made a very prudent decision to seek shelter while she can.

Last edited:

Applespider

Visit site
Yes zoidberg, it seems like a very sensible call on Susie’s part; regardless of how the rule interpretation plays out.

Apologies that I got so focused on the Race Notice, I forgot to answer the weather point and the normal port of refuge intention!

They surely can’t fault seamanship, it’s one thing riding out 50+knots because you have no other option, it’s another when you have a safer spot (likely still to be a tad blowy though!)

{151760}

Visit site
There's no reference to it in the Notice of Race (having just searched the document) so will probably be another direct ruling from Don. As they're running out of entrants and are only halfway around, I suspect he'll say that by calling to say that she was seeking a port of refuge and so long as she stays out of a port boundary etc, he'll class that as an approved stopover and it will be OK. I seem to recall that the last person who did it on the way down the Atlantic didn't call up ahead so got demoted; but then got reinstated with a time penalty. Who knows - it might depend what side of bed Don got out this morning? :rolleyes-new:

I'm not sure the rules do say you can anchor in bays given the first rule above. Does anchoring out count as immobilisation of the boat?

3.1.2 Non-stop It is understood and agreed that the course does not stop and does not allow any stopovers. Any immobilization of the boat or disembarkation of the skipper will be limited as described in relation to the Chichester section.

3.1.8 Stopovers or assistance If for any reason whatsoever, an entrant receives materiel assistance of any kind or makes an unapproved stopover in a port, then after consideration of all the facts and at the sole discretion of the GGR Director the entrant will be automatically placed in the Chichester one-stop class

From memory, I think RKJ anchored off New Zealand somewhere, in the original race, and waded ashore with an anchor. I believe he had to wave away offers of help. I think it caused some controversy, but there was no penalty.
If you call anchoring 'stopping' then surely heaving-to comes into question too? It's quite clearly good seamanship to do what SG has done.

zoidberg

Visit site
They surely can’t fault seamanship, it’s one thing riding out 50+knots because you have no other option, it’s another when you have a safer spot (likely still to be a tad blowy though!)

When I looked a few minutes ago, she was stopped - presumed anchored - in a suitable-looking, sheltered and scenic bay within the large Port Arthur inlet. Interestingly, the RaceTracker - zoomed-in - shows a large cruise ship stopped a couple of miles north of her..... or perhaps that's way out of date!

Both Istvan and Tapio seem to have slowed considerably. It was expected that Istvan would make best speed east to get round the corner, but right now both seem to be pointed NE....

Seajet

Visit site
One can still buy TBT-based antifoul paint. Just not around here....

Susie Goodall is due into the Hobart/Boatshed 'pit stop' in a couple of hours. She's maintained better average boatspeeds than those around her this past few weeks. It'll be very interesting to see how 'infested with barnacles' her hull is.... and why.

I think the racing dinghy bottom finish - slippery chemical releasing ? - was called ' International Smoothy ' ( I used it on my Scorpion but she and I were no match for the others with sponsored new sails every six months :rolleyes: ) and the paint naturally came in pink.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Look at that Zhik smock La Goodall is wearing at Hobart ( and othr pics from same source ). It's pristine! Spotless! Probably still has the 'new' swing tickets on, just like those worn by Solent girlie instructors up at The Folly Inn, of a night. D'you think she kept this one just for the photo-call?

Lessee... other photos show an authentically grubby Musto HPX... Zhik are Australian... very professional of her!

Last edited:

Applespider

Visit site
Susie is sponsored by Zhik - I seem to recall them handing out freebies at the London Boat Show next to her Rustler. It wouldn't be entirely unheard of for them or her to ask her to wear their clothing at key photo ops.

As you say, the real question is whether it's been used in anger and still looks pristine - or kept for special occasions!

I have a Zhik smock for wet days where the full MPX collar to the ears isn't required. It still looks new despite having been worn multiple times (not at the Folly) and spending quite a bit of time rolled up in a sailing bag.

zoidberg

Visit site
It wouldn't be entirely unheard of for them ....to ask her to wear their clothing at key photo ops.

As you say, the real question is whether it's been used in anger and still looks pristine - or kept for special occasions!

I don't really care. It's excellent product placement and they're entitled to it. Photogenic, ne?

I'm sure some enterprising spark at Port Arthur will take a mo'boat out to her, and come away with a few good snaps to sell to the Ozzie mags.

'Meanwhile, back at the ranch', Istvan Kopar has turned the SE corner of Tazzie into a part-lee and should be into shelter in a couple of hours. Everyone is, however, more concerned about Tapio Lehtinen, who is storm-beset well to the west of Tazzie and must endure at least two more days of storm force winds and huge breaking seas.

Other threads that may be of interest