GMDSS Long Range Cert vs Amateur radio Licence

Uisteach

Visit site
There's been some discussion that cuts across this question so I thought some might find interesting an e-mail I've recieved from a person who runs Amateur Radio Licence courses.

"The answer to your question [which is best for use on a boat]relies on want you want the SSB for.

An amateur radio licence permits you to operate on the amateur frequencies
and allows you to communicate with other radio amateurs. You can operate
your ham station from your home or from your yacht. But you can only
talk/communcate with fellow radio amateurs. To obtain a ham licence here in
the UK takes about 16 to 20 weeks and requires a bit of studying.

A marine licence (GMDSS Long Range Certificate) allows you to
operate on the marine SSB frequencies where you can talk to fellow
yachtsmen, make and recieve telephone calls via coast radio stations. You
are only permitted to operate your marine SSB whilst you are onboard your
yacht.

To obtain the GMDSS Long Range Certifictae takes 4 days and is a lot easier
then obtaining a amateur licence.

If you want to talk to radio amateurs and transmit on the marine frequencies
then you require both a GMDSS Long Range Certificate and an amateur radio
licence, you cannot use one licence to do both."

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
that is a good discription - not quite sure what constitutes a coast radio station? I think you can normally access them via VHF?? (If you are that close then you can probably also use your cell phone to make telephone type calls...)

On what frequency would you call a UK coast radio station on an SSB?

The long distance - HF Radio Stations like Portishead Radio in Bristol UK have all closed down (Except Monacco Radio and I think one Ma Bell in the USA and a very few in Asia) so using your SSB for long distance phone calls is now not a reality (except as above)

The Emergency useage of HF (remember the Titanic) is also not practical any longer(Which is why all the emphasis on formulating a Mayday in the licence test is such a nonsense) The Coast Guard do not monitor the distress frequencies any where in the world including the USA and UK.

Ships with HF are no longer required to monitor 2182 or have a switch, which is activated by the alarm tone transmitted from a SSB, to alert the officer of the watch.

None of the above stops SSB from being one of the most important safety items on board a cruising yacht and one of the most useful after GPS.

I stand to be corrected on the factual statement above. A lot of things have changed in the last few years since the modernisation of CC and search and resuce internationally. the Advent of the iperb and sat phone has made HF SSB no longer in the front line.

regards

Michael

<hr width=100% size=1>If you have time visit my web site
www.michaelbriant.com/sailing

Talbot

Visit site
IMHO there are only 2 reasons for having an SSB onboard these days:

Weather charts
talking to other cruisers, or radio hams ashore.

If you want email, it is better to go Iridium, mini-M or the new cheaper (= restricted areas) Globalstar.
If you want rescue have a 48 hrs Epirb.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Agee with your reasons for SSB on board.

For all my onboard emails I use Sailmail - costs US$200 a year for all the emails you can download in 10 minutes per day.

You need a Pactor 3 modem which connects the laptop to SSB. It costs around US$500 I think. This modem also gets you, via Sailmail, into very useful weather charts for your area as well - I find it excellent - possibly the best solution...

If you are a ham you can use Airmail(same system) but you cannot discuss business on it but it gives almost unlimited air time...

How much do the other systems cost?

Are they also PC laptop based or just a hand set?

regards

Michael

<hr width=100% size=1>If you have time visit my web site
www.michaelbriant.com/sailing

Talbot

Visit site
Iridium is cheaper than a pactor 3 modem to buy, and data rate is faster, albeit somewhat more expensive, and anyway my SSB is a tad old for a pactor 3 and apparently doesnt much like a 2!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
The iridium system is a hand held phone, which also acts as the modem for your laptop.

Information about the system: E Bay

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Talbot!

If you have done the Atlantic circuit or other ocean passages, I think you would agree that HF for 'talking to Hams/talking to other yachts/weather charts' covers most of the important needs of a cruising vessel.

If you have worked with someone like Herb, for example, I doubt if you would ever consider using an alternative system, in fact you couldn't! To be able to discuss the weather systems and forecast relevant to you personally, with someone as experienced and generous with his time is, for us and many, many others, a fantastic help. Try doing that with a telephone! Similarly, you will have found that small 'nets' of yachts making a crossing are formed, to exchange positions, discuss problems of all sorts, to have fun and, quite frankly, to boost each others confidence when things begin to get lumpy! You can't do that sort of thing via phone or email.

Yes, of course, you can chat to someone on a 'phone and (as I've mentioned on this type of thread before) providing the phone is waterproof (or extremely well protected) this is probably better if you have to 'yelp for help', but what if another yacht is in trouble, what if you need to communicate with them if you are?

We will be leaving the UK (Lord willing!) and full time cruising again next year after our refit, and have carefully looked into the value of satphones. We have decided that it's uses are too limited to add one to our itinerary, but may look again at a modem for email, IF we really feel we can't go 17 days (our last crossing time) without sending/receiving one!!!

Somehow, I reckon we'll struggle through without it!

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
I obviously didnt make myself clear to you, (although the original poster got the point).

I would not go without an SSB for the reasons I have already stated. I would not bother email via SSB cause the cost of the pactor is about the same as the iridium.
I would also have an EPIRB.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jerryat

Visit site
Hi Talbot!

I haven't seen the original posters reply, have I missed it? I didn't get the impression you were enthusiastic about HF (despite having seen many of your posts concerning this over the months!) and was trying to expand on the points you made as I consider these aspects important.

Delighted you are going to use HF when you go off cruising (when are you reckoning to leave by the way?) and it would be nice to get in contact from time to time via that medium.

Definitely agree about the necessity for an EPIRB!

Cheers

Jerry

<hr width=100% size=1>

Talbot

Visit site
Planning on 4-5 years (when son finishes uni, but he is now talking about doing his masters) I have a Icom M700 with an AT-300 ready for installation, but I am now considering a move to a slightly bigger boat (Goose or Flica)

<hr width=100% size=1>