Gimbaled Cookers.

nortada

Visit site
After many years of sterling service our ENO 2 ring cooker with oven has become increasingly temperamental so time for a replacement. The big drawback is this cooker has no grill so I would love to hear opinions as to which are currently the best cookers with grills on the market and where best to source them.

As always on a boat, size is critical so the dimensions of the ENO are 50cm wide (between gimbal mounts) x 45cm high x 45cm deep. However, the 'hole' it will fit into is slightly larger! Obviously we will do better measurements before we buy.

Oh yes, the boat is in Portugal but overland delivery shouldn't present too many problems.

Until then I guess we will just have to eat out.

Marina Bar, can we have a discount for regular customers? :encouragement: ;)

Tranona

Visit site
The choice of cookers to fit 50cm gap is limited, and if you want a separate grill then even more limited, plus suspect it will be taller than your existing cooker. Arguably the most popular cookers in this size are the Nelson Spinflo and what used to be known as Plastimo but are now marketed by Bainbridge. You will find good reports of these cookers in the various magazine tests over the years. Dometic also make models in this size.

RupertW

Visit site
Looking forward to an answer here as we have the same dilemma and cooker combined with the big ring sooting up and burning yellow unless taken apart and scrubbed every day.

Minchsailor

Visit site
I have found the grill in the Plastimo rather ineffectual - not very hot, and limited working area - unable to do 2 slices of toast at a time. Grilling a chop more warms it rather than cooking it.

My current boat is fitted with a Nelson Spinflo. Grill better than the Plastimo (although not a touch on domestic grills, but usable), however the cooker is rusting badly. I'm chucking it this spring and getting a Force 10 with grill in the oven.

Force 10 do a 'compact' version that might suit you. Have a chat with Penguin at Hayling Island.

Shearmyste

Visit site
We have a force 10, size is just a bit bigger on the height 50 x 50 x 50, it is built like a tank, the grill however is poor only fits two slices of white bread, need to clean burner in oven every two months (10 mins work), love the oven door (slides away under the oven when open). The oven does do great pizza's two 12" in less than 10 mins. The three burners on the hob also are great but underway only two can be used with the pan clamps.

{151760}

Visit site
We have had a Nelson Spinflo for three years now, with good results. We spend 10-12 weeks aboard in the summer cooking most days. The grill, as mentioned above, is not as good asa domestic one, but will do two slices of bread, or two chops. There is some minor rusting on a couple of screw heads, and some blackening of the hob grids and oven shelves, but it's otherwise as new.
There are some very sharp edges which have to be avoided, and the swing fittings are at the top of the cooker, so it sits higher than its predecessor.

nortada

Visit site
Hi,

Many thanks for the posts this far - very useful.

Just done a bit of pricing up here in Lagos and at the local outlet the most likely candidate Fogao ENO 504 costs €1059 including EVA (VAT)! So guess we will source from either Spain or UK.

neil1967

Visit site
We have a Plastimo/Bainbridge Neptune 4500 with oven. Seems to work OK - SWMBO manages Christmas dinner on it (abeit with steaks rather than a Turkey!) It would fit your gap and is half the price you have quoted.

Boo2

Visit site
...Arguably the most popular cookers in this size are the Nelson Spinflo and what used to be known as Plastimo but are now marketed by Bainbridge. You will find good reports of these cookers in the various magazine tests over the years. Dometic also make models in this size.

My current boat is fitted with a Nelson Spinflo. Grill better than the Plastimo (although not a touch on domestic grills, but usable), however the cooker is rusting badly....
Rusting is a widely reported problem for the Nelson Spinflo and mine has gone the same way with rather little use and no particular provocation. Also the gymbals on the Spinflo are a preposterous design that's almost impossible to fit...

Boo2

Goldie

Visit site
Maybe an ‘outside the box’ suggestion, but if you can pick up an old Taylor’s 043 that someone’s replacing with something modern, MSE Ltd (they’re at Ocean Quay, Southampton) will re-furnish to better than new with modern burners, electronic ignition on all burners etc.). OK you could buy a new cooker for the same or less but you get a quality compact cooker that will last for years. We had our 041 model re-furnished and we are delighted.

No connection etc etc etc.....

Visit site
I have "Made in India" stainless Cook and grill from, Harbor Freight,with bronze burners .The best one I have ever seen. India has some of the best non magnetic stainless.
Cost $50US!
Unfortunately, they don't ship outside the US, so you will have to get a yank to buy it and send or bring it to you, unless you can source it from India.

nortada

Visit site
Thanks again to all for all of the info and good advice.

Looks as if the ENO 32867 has run the race.

Why? Clearly the overall width is essential and at 516mm (Including gimbals) it is the one that closest matches the existing 'hole'.

Only draw back - no grill but we can manage without - have for the last 20 years!

Plan to source it from SVB for €599.95 but before placing the order, has anybody got any background on SVB - like which county(s) do they operate out of?

ashtead

Visit site
Plug in toaster or Forman grill sandwich machine is useful if you have power. We don't have a grill but personally based on reports it seems having a larger oven is preferable to those available with grill ? Have you searched for SVB on sites?

PetiteFleur

Visit site
We also have a Nelson Spinflo and it's excellent. No visible rusting as mentioned earlier - had it for 12yrs now. Came out top in a test of cookers many years ago. Unlike an earlier poster, I think the gimbals are good, I fitted ss 'R' clips to retain it, just remove them and the cooker lifts out. Not sure of the width - it replaced a Vanessa cooker.

neil1967

Visit site
I've used SVB with no problems - very reasonably priced delivery. SVB are German and I live in the Netherlands. I believe they charge the same delivery across Europe.

Tranona

Visit site
Thanks but had a look - too tall to fit in the hole.

Exactly as I identified in post#2. There is a trade off - if you want a grill the cooker will be taller and the oven maybe (but not always) smaller. some cookers have a grill in the top of the oven, which keeps the height down but compromises the size of the oven and is not easy to use. Bavaria fit a Techimpex 50cm cooker without an oven. Some owners have accepted the height issue, taking the cooker above the level of the worktop and fitted a Nelson or a Plastimo with grill. I was lucky and bought one of the last oven only Neptunes before Plastimo went bust. Important for me because I had a folding cover over the cooker to increase work space which I wanted to keep.

Bobc

Visit site
I replaced our ENO cooker with a Plasime Neptune 2500 (with grill because SWMBO wanted one).

It is a bit narrower than the Eno, so I had to put some small wooden spacers wither side for the gimble mounts, and it's a bit taller, so I decided to remove the folding worktop lid and mounted the cooker so that the top of the cooker body is flush with the worktop.

6 years now, and all still working fine and no rust problems.