GGR 22

Minerva

Visit site
Blimey! J

ust imagine being quite content in your own wee world in the middle of no-where then inside 5minutes your boat has sunk and all you have is a PVC liferaft.

That would be a pretty crappy Friday! Hope he's rescued soon!

Ravi

Visit site
A quick calculation suggests there's less than 100nm between Tapio's shown position and Kirsten's.
Apparently |Kirsten was uncontacable by Sat phoibe and Abilash - 200NM mniles away - was on his way.

But, one would think that there will be plenty of commercial shipping which can get to him much quicker. (His position is near the route betweern Cape Town and Cochin and far East ports)

dunedin

Visit site
Apparently |Kirsten was uncontacable by Sat phoibe and Abilash - 200NM mniles away - was on his way.

But, one would think that there will be plenty of commercial shipping which can get to him much quicker. (His position is near the route betweern Cape Town and Cochin and far East ports)
See the report in post #184 - “MRCC Cape Town has established communication with the bulk carrier DARYA GAYATRI and requested to divert and render assistance. The vessel is currently 250 nm NW off Tapio's position with an ETA on November 19 at 1200 UTC.”

Slowboat35

Visit site
Hard to believe that the brave beggar is cracking jokes about getting some kip in his thermal sack in his 'luxury liferaft' and commenting on albatrosses 'kissing' nearby!
He reported hearing a bang while he was asleep and the boat was flooded with in 5 minutes.
Tomy Abilash has been stood down from a rescue diversion that had commenced while a large Hong Kong reg bulk carrier (originally 250 miles away) has an eta of 1200 tomorrow (saturday). Kirsten Neuschäfer is now apparently also en route from a hundred or so miles away with a rather later eta but you can bet she's hauling ass to get there.
Apparently the poor sod hasn't even got his glasses and reading the screen on his sat-text gizmo is difficult. Just imagine!

Talk about sailors looking after their own...

I'm just in awe of these people. All of them.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
Looks like Kirsten will arrive 'on scene' about 0500UTC/0700 local ( very approximate )
The wind should be SSW/around 18kts; seastate around 2.4m; visibility Good

Blueboatman

Visit site
Less than 1 hour ago Kirsten radio'd that she'd picked the shipwrecked Tapio from his liferaft and transferred him safely to the bulk carrier. Both now continue - she towards Hobart and he to somewhere else in SE Asia.
That is an impressive -well, two impressive - bits of seamanship right there .
Anyone else aware that Kirsten N cycled SOLO across the African continent from N to S, way before taking up this GGR lark ??
Definitely The Right Mental Stuff

it always was going to be a race of attrition but, ouch ! Losing a boat, meh ☹️

zoidberg

Visit site
There's a bit of a SoundCloud recording of her 'checking in' earlier this morning, to report 'Mission Accomplished' and that she's shortly getting back to her day job.....

Recording

Blueboatman

Visit site
There's a bit of a SoundCloud recording of her 'checking in' earlier this morning, to report 'Mission Accomplished' and that she's shortly getting back to her day job.....

Recording
I am of the belief that a boat and it’s crew should arrive at a destination in possibly even finer well oiled, working fettle than when they set out .. from what little onboard vid I have sent, she seems very at one with boat and sea and self .

Ravi

Visit site
I am of the belief that a boat and it’s crew should arrive at a destination in possibly even finer well oiled, working fettle than when they set out ..

I am guessing that you are an undergraduate student who goes a couple of hundred days without eating fresh vegetables, has a limited and disrupted sleep pattern and an irregular shower routine. ?

Blueboatman

Visit site
I am guessing that you are an undergraduate student who goes a couple of hundred days without eating fresh vegetables, has a limited and disrupted sleep pattern and an irregular shower routine. ?
Nope.
I hope your navigation skills are better than your guesses ! ?

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
52514300514_468f7a2fc8_z.jpg

'Ships that pass in the night'

They've crossed, and are now about 30nm apart.

Yara

Visit site
We will never know what happened to Tapio's boat, but please indulge me while I explained my diagnosis.

Here are the background facts:
The boat was manufactured sometime in the late 1960s or early 1970s. It was designed by Sparkman and Stephens similar to the Swan 36. Note the counter stern.
Tapio's boat had heavily upgraded rigging, including a shortened mast and much heavier stays. It also had multiple headstays.
The boat sank rapidly after a bang, with no mention of collision shock.
swan_36_drawing.jpg
Now for my theory.
One of the first engineering principles I learned as a teenager building model aeroplanes, was that reinforcing a structure can throw extra load onto other parts of the structure. It also taught me about stress concentrations.
Creating stronger rigging and a stronger mast allows for much greater tension forces in the rigging. These tension forces create a bending moment on the hull, with upward loads at the bow and stern. Now look at the drawing of the similar Swan 36. Note the potential stress concentration at the end of the counter and the rudder post. The counter is also small and narrow.
The Southern Ocean is cooler than the late summer temperatures that would have been experienced at the start of the race. Lower temperatures would result in rigging contraction and even higher tensions. It is unlikely that Tapio had a chance to retention his rigging at sea. So much higher loads were placed on an old hull, not designed for them.

So my theory is that the increased tensions on the rigging due to all the above factors, and the age of the boat, led to a fatal crack in the hull, probably at or near the rudder post.

So that's my theory, and as Donald Trump would say, "only saying"....