Getting the engine out

G

To access various parts of the stern I need to get my diesel out into the saloon area. The books tell you to use a block and tackle to get them out but that is about all ( probably because each of our boats are different ).

A large part of the engine is under the cockpit so I cannot get a vertical lift ( the handbook says it weighs about 20 stone).

Do you in effect disconnect everything and try and slide it out on rails for example ?

I would appreciate any advice on this subject

Many Thanks

Strathglass

Visit site
Vic, This is how I have done it several timed on hire craft.
Get a strong scafolding pole which will fit over the hatch opening. Fit a 6/1 or greater pulley system, or a chain winch between the pole and the engine. Tighten up the pulley system. Loosen everything , as you do this continue to take up the slack on the pulley. The engine will move until it is hanging below the hatch opening. If your scafolding pole is long enough, you can get enough bodies to lift out the engine. The rest is up to you.

G

Ian, Thats exactly how I've done it. The problem comes when you have to put it back.The only solution I have found is too get lots of able bodies.

G

I've used the scaffolding pole technique with great success too. If you need to move the engine forward a few feet, then you might try sliding a plank under the disconnected engine to allow it to slide.

I've done this on my own with some bloomin' big motors! If there is space to pivot the plank near the engine on some wooden blocks, the thing might slide out by itself when you stand on the free end! If not, a lightweight block and tackle fastened to the end of the plank is usually enough to shift it. Makes life very easy for refitting too.

Good luck, KCA

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
I use this method too. I stripped and rebuilt my Bukh 20 in the saloon, after covering the sole with old carpet tiles and opened-out cardboard boxes. I lifted it out with a 3 x 3 inch timber across the companionway, sliding the mountings along the engine beds. Then put a plank underneath, supported aft in the engine bilge and on the saloon floor, then lowered the engine onto an old skateboard and rolled it down the plank. I have two old skateboards and find them extremely useful for manoevring heavy items, as they are steerable.

gus

www.whysuffer.co.uk
Short lengths of electrical conduit pipe make excellent rollers sandwiched between planks. Basically you have to sit down and think about it and whatever you do do it slowly. It is not as impossible to move very heavy weights safely if you do it carefully. Use lots of bits of wood, longer ones for levers, rope, jacks, chain blocks, a bit of muscle and lots of ingenuity.
I had to move my engine up into my wheelhouse to repaint the bilge without the benefit of an opening hatch above for any tackle. I had to put a large heavy batten (through the side doors) which rested on the strengthened rails to lift an engine weighing in at 11 cwt that's 88 stone. I had made a rollered carriage which fitted over the batten which then allowed me to move the engine sideways. A scaffolding pole would not have taken the weight.

johnt

Visit site
A canted up boom will take the weight of an average 20Hp engine..you just shove a little as its lowered slightly ..and whoops, its back on the bearers