Gearbox oil?

pathfinderstu

Visit site
Requesting advice from all you knowledgeable gentlemen out there.
I have a Yanmar 4JH4E engine with a Kanzaki TTM C35P gear box.
I would like to change the gearbox oil and believe I need 20/30 SAE non multigrade oil . cant seem to find the stuff out here in SW Turkey. is there an alternative I can use for example a different SAE /?
thanks in advance.!

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Check first, but i'm pretty sure you can use ATF or failing that lawnmower oil is SAE30.

What ever you do, don't mix ATF into a box that has had engine oil. I cannot answer the grade of engine oil, but If it is engine oil, it is usual to use the same grade as used in the engine, ie something like SAE 15/40 CI -4 but you could probably use CD, CE, or CF-4. The website has info if you have the engine number etc.
http://www.yanmarmarine.com/Service-and-parts/

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Oils with a slash(/) in their viscosity designation are multigrades. Those with a single figure, e.g. SAE 30, are monogrades, not widely available nowadays. There is usually a multigrade alternative but don't be tempted to buy the latest synthetic stuff full of additives. Stick with the simple stuff.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
I have this engine and am pretty certain it has the same gearbox (Number rings a bell but service manual files are about 12,000+ miles away). My wife's godson is a Yanmar dealer and he told me to use the normal engine oil in the gearbox. I also checked the operation & service manuals and found the same information in one of them. I can check but won't be back in UK for a couple of weeks (don't think I've put those docs. into Cloud based storage yet).

Last edited:

pathfinderstu

Visit site
I have this engine and am pretty certain it has the same gearbox (Number rings a bell but service manual files are about 12,000+ miles away). My wife's godson is a Yanmar dealer and he told me to use the normal engine oil in the gearbox. I also checked the operation & service manuals and found the same information in one of them. I can check but won't be back in UK for a couple of weeks (don't think I've put those docs. into Cloud based storage yet).

Thanks folks for all that. pardon but I have been wrong on two counts. have just been down to the boat and checked the plate on the gearbox its no. is KM 35 P and the oil is SAE 20/30 HD so with the forward slash means its multigrade as been said. looks like am getting somewhere with help on here thanks.!
wish I had a Yanmar dealer godson ! haha!

pathfinderstu

Visit site
Ahh a bit confused now in the yanmar link kindly given. it says for that model SAE #20/30#(single grade oil).
on the gear box itself says SAE 20/30 HD your opinion is appreciated

pathfinderstu

Visit site
Thanks for all your useful answers. a good example of the power of this forum . to put a cap on things I have found a tractor transmission oil which seems to suit, its 20W 30 rating so should be ok.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Thanks for all your useful answers. a good example of the power of this forum . to put a cap on things I have found a tractor transmission oil which seems to suit, its 20W 30 rating so should be ok.

If it says HD then make sure that is what you use. Oils rated HD contain more boundary lubricant to cope with the likelihood of gear tooth contact in gearboxes.

pathfinderstu

Visit site
Doesn't actually state Hd on the label but does say its for agricultural transmission/ differentials/etc. and its mono oil rather than multigrade synthetic and the only 20w/30 I could find so should be ok for my gear box as only a splash oil thing. I may well have been too fussy and just used engine oil and been ok.
thanks anyway.

Heckler

Visit site
Requesting advice from all you knowledgeable gentlemen out there.
I have a Yanmar 4JH4E engine with a Kanzaki TTM C35P gear box.
I would like to change the gearbox oil and believe I need 20/30 SAE non multigrade oil . cant seem to find the stuff out here in SW Turkey. is there an alternative I can use for example a different SAE /?
thanks in advance.!
Multigrade means what it says, 20/30 is a multigrade!
Stu

pathfinderstu

Visit site
HHmmm! well that's what confused me.! If you go into the Yanmar marine web site under drive systems the spec for the KM35P definitely says SAE 20/30 (single grade oil)

Natterjack

www.dibbensremovals.co.uk
HHmmm! well that's what confused me.! If you go into the Yanmar marine web site under drive systems the spec for the KM35P definitely says SAE 20/30 (single grade oil)

I'm no expert, this is only from my experience, I service 4 cars & 5 HGV lorries and use various oils for engine /gearbox/differentials etc.

Every multi grade oil specified has been written like this;
15w-40; 15w40; 80w-90 or 80w90 etc.

I have never seen a multigrade oil written down as 20/30 or 15/40
I would guess the 20/30 indicates you can use either 20 or 30 single grade oil.

As I understand a simple ENGINE oil is required for this gearbox, not ATF or Transmission fluid. I don't know the API spec but would guess API CC or CD

As stated it must be 'HD'

pathfinderstu

Visit site
I agree!! just saying 20/30 must mean more than one grade ie multi. but very confusing for the amateur non engineer type like myself as 3 sites now given me different versions.... yanmarmarine being the 20/30 (single grade oil) other two were; one stating HD afterwards and the other just singularly sae 30.
The stuff I bought was Turkish called Original Tractor oil 20w/30 there is no api spec on the label but made by a major Turkish oil firm. I am now worried that it will be ok so will do some more checking!
20/30 you heard it first here haha...seriously check out the yanmarmarine site for the KM35P drive you may see something I missed.

Natterjack

www.dibbensremovals.co.uk
I read

http://www.tufftorq.com/pdf/products/Marine_TTMC35P_R0_130927.pdf

as either SAE 20 or SAE 30 single grade oil. It only takes ½ liter and as there is no other requirements beyond the viscosity, any lube will do. If only multigrade available, I'd use that too.

Thanks for the link, it’s good to get confirmation of a single grade oil although I'd be happy to use multigrade if thats all I could find.
Clean multigrade oil got to be better than leaving in the old oil!

Confusingly it does state on the gearbox plate the oil should be HD? Whether it makes any difference I don't know...

pathfinderstu

Visit site
My gearbox is actually a KM35P and not the one mentioned in the link (TTMC 35P) but looks the same box and spec seems the same.
I am still not clear about the issue with surprisingly so many schools of thought from the experts on here.
Thanks for all the input anyway its certainly turned out to be an interesting subject. I never knew there was so much to a can of oil.!
Beware though! watch this space! am changing the cooling water next.! :encouragement: