Gearbox losing ‘oil’ (ATF)

skip50

Visit site
Had a replacement Beta30 with TMC60A gearbox fitted over the winter. Very pleased with everything except for one problem.

The gearbox is losing ‘oil’ (actually Automatic Transmission Fluid). It is blowing out of the breather on the top of the gearbox. Not in massive quantities, but it shouldn’t be happening at all!

My engineer has looked at it and is at a loss. He has spoken to Beta and the gearbox agent, and they say they have never heard of this before.

Has anybody come across a similar problem? Any solutions, other than a replacement gearbox?

TIA

doug748

Visit site
Has it been overfilled? Is it actually losing enough to be showing on the dipstick? If not I would get the level down to a mid point and see what happens.
It is often very difficult to read the oil level. Best to take the thing right out, into good light and then look for the tell tale red on the nicks in the rod; the lower one should have a red smear the upper should be clean.. Holding it against dry newspaper can also help to judge what is going on.

Are you sure it is the breather? Again it can be very difficult to judge. If the dipstick is not tight and pushed fully home it will leak in a lot use, as will the filler if the washer is missing or it is loose. Outsiders would be the rear oil seal and the drain plug but I guess you have eliminated those.

Refueler

Visit site
The TMC has an optional cooling system fed from engine system ... do you have such ?

Reason I ask is that my gearbox ... OK - I accept it is not same .... the cooling system developed a leak and it caused oil loss .... mine being raw system - the oil went out the exhaust - but if it had been a closed system - then it would have pressurised ...

Just thinking ..

skip50

Visit site
The TMC has an optional cooling system fed from engine system ... do you have such ?

Reason I ask is that my gearbox ... OK - I accept it is not same .... the cooling system developed a leak and it caused oil loss .... mine being raw system - the oil went out the exhaust - but if it had been a closed system - then it would have pressurised ...

Just thinking ..
Thanks for the thought, but I do not have the gearbox cooling system you mention.

skip50

Visit site
Has it been overfilled? Is it actually losing enough to be showing on the dipstick? If not I would get the level down to a mid point and see what happens.
It is often very difficult to read the oil level. Best to take the thing right out, into good light and then look for the tell tale red on the nicks in the rod; the lower one should have a red smear the upper should be clean.. Holding it against dry newspaper can also help to judge what is going on.

Are you sure it is the breather? Again it can be very difficult to judge. If the dipstick is not tight and pushed fully home it will leak in a lot use, as will the filler if the washer is missing or it is loose. Outsiders would be the rear oil seal and the drain plug but I guess you have eliminated those.
My engineer saw it coming out of the breather when we ran it in gear, I didn’t see it myself. Might check it next time I am on board. Never knowingly overfilled, and yes, I know about the difficulty in reading the dipstick, I use kitchen paper! Yes, you can tell the level is dropping on the dipstick.

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi. Is the engineer aware of warm and cold levels ? Just a thought. Quite often the reading on the dip stick is advised to be read in either/or condition. Fairly common for such a thing to end up with too much oil, if this is not considered.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
No personal experience, unfortunately, but have you checked the breather itself? There is a valve inside it, wonder if that could be the culprit..

The ATF volume is only 0,6 liter, so not a big problem to drain it for a closer look (fluid and plug should be clean) and refill with new.

In a similar situation (auto tranny) I fitted a piece of clear plastic tube over the breather to get a clearer picture of what was going on.

205-04961-Breather-TMC-Transmissions-TMC-40-60-260-TMC-PN-05.2055032-Diagram.png

Last edited:

skip50

Visit site
Just for future reference for anyone else with the same problem.

To recap, the ATF was getting aerated and coming out of the breather. This is on a TMC60A, with the 7degree down angle. To cut a long story short, a new gearbox seems to have sorted the problem, albeit only two hours running but I did a sea trail yesterday running at all revs, tick over to full revs and all is looking good.

This despite everybody saying they had never had such a thing before!

This may help somebody.

Plum

Visit site
Just for future reference for anyone else with the same problem.

To recap, the ATF was getting aerated and coming out of the breather. This is on a TMC60A, with the 7degree down angle. To cut a long story short, a new gearbox seems to have sorted the problem, albeit only two hours running but I did a sea trail yesterday running at all revs, tick over to full revs and all is looking good.

This despite everybody saying they had never had such a thing before!

This may help somebody.
Glad to hear you now have a usable gearbox and can use your boat again.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
My engineer saw it coming out of the breather when we ran it in gear, I didn’t see it myself. Might check it next time I am on board. Never knowingly overfilled, and yes, I know about the difficulty in reading the dipstick, I use kitchen paper! Yes, you can tell the level is dropping on the dipstick.
Blue paper towel is the best telltale for fluids, as it shows up dark when dampened.