gear case prising

mcgarry1

N/A
Visit site
we have tried getting the gear case off the leg of the Ob to no avail, any good tricks for getting the bottom off, we've obviously taken the nut's and washers off but can't work out a way to do it. it is well and truly stuck solid

aaaaarrrrrr help!

P.S we want to get out on the boat tomorrow (swmbo say's so!)

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
rubber mallet to the gearcasing whilst levering - but if you are planning to go out tommorow I suggest leaving it fo rthe time being.
personally I would put it all back together and agree a fixed price for a mechanic to change the impellor and gear oil (this time). He will quote you on the basis it will be difficult to get apart, and paradoxically on the assumption that it won't, so honours will be even!

<hr width=100% size=1>

duncan

Visit site
if there is one you should be planning on replacing it.
If you advise more details on the OB a specific expert will no doubt pop up!
I assume you have something like a Merc 40?

<hr width=100% size=1>

BarryH

Visit site
I know it sounds obvious, but have you disconected the gear shift rod in the leg.
If you have then its probably the splines on the drive shaft that are stuck fast in the end of the crank. When the bolts are out can you swivel the gear case on the shaft.
A soft mallet or a block of soft wood and a hammer will have it out. Plenty of grease on the splines when you put it back in. Persevere!

<hr width=100% size=1>
captain.gif

Heckler

Visit site
fiddle, prise, gently tap, screw driver blades, if it doesnt move you have missed a nut or bolt, gently persevere
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.beneteau-owners-association.org.uk

mcgarry1

N/A
Visit site
wey all done 2 hours of fiddling, cursing, cutting flesh, hammering, and then pop, the gasket decided it would surrender! all done. it is a yam 9.9 so it was easy enough to change
happy saling

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by mcgarry1 on 09/02/2004 09:06 (server time).</FONT></P>

Heckler

Visit site
well done
its so difficult to explain to anyone, prise a bit, take it easy another thin blade etc etc but once you have done it a few times it comes as second nature
stu

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.beneteau-owners-association.org.uk