Gangplank

andrewmarais

Visit site
We are heading to the mediteranean soon where we will need to practice stern to mooring. I would welcome any guidance as to what sort of gangplank to get, where to get it and where to store it on the boat. :)

prv

Visit site
All the charter boats I've been on in that area just have a simple wooden plank with two holes at the inboard end for a length of line to go through and suspend the end slightly above the deck (keeps the noise down in the stern cabins; it sags onto the deck as you step on the plank).

Most charterers seemed to just chuck them onto the side-deck with a couple of cursory half-hitches of the attached rope onto the pushpit if you're lucky. I used to lash them properly to the guardrail stanchions well above the toe-rail, so that any water over the rail couldn't catch the plank.

I never found such basic planks lacking, although maybe there is something wonderful about a whizz-bang contraption that I never experienced, because no sane company would supply them for a role so likely to see them lost overboard :)

Pete

SHUG

Visit site
I made one out of plywood and shaped it to match the curvature of the toerail. Took about half a sheet of 1/2"ply. When stowed along the inside of the rail it only took up its 3inches of depth. Very neat and it could also double as a fender board. The sides are curved so they look like a shallow arch and the treads were about 3inches by12 inches. Worked well, was lightweight and was much admired.
There was a fairly recent posting on this topic and an folding aluminium ramp came up . Looked good and could be stowed in a locker.A good second choice.

Last edited:

GeorgeTina

Visit site
I am based in Italy/Croatia and use a gang plank 2 metres in length which splits into two for easy storage in the cockpit locker. As we moor stern on it is OK although it can be a bit difficult in the northern Adriatic with a tidal range of 1.5 metres as it can be quite steep at high or low tide. Many yachts out here use a basic plank about 2.5 metres long which they strap to the stantions when they are crusing. All fairly crude. Most of the power boats have fancy hydraulic gang ways that both look and are very expensive. If you moor bow on you need a way to climb down. Most people seem to use their anchor as a step but I have seen people fall off using this technique so if you intend mooring bow on you need to consider a good way of getting over the pullpit and down onto the quay.

Tranona

Visit site
While a plank is functionally adequate, but once you take the plunge and fit a passarelle you will appreciate their benefits. I bought one made by Trem (a big Italian marine supplier). It costs over £400 and virtually unobtainable in UK, but Force4 sometimes have them in stock. My wife will tell you it transformed her enjoyment of the boat at mooring up times!

sarabande

Visit site
nowt wrong with a professional one, but I have seen a very tough and multi-purpose one made from a builder's ladder, and a scaffold board tied to the rungs.

Doubles up as a loooooong fender.

jordanbasset

Visit site
We use a motorcycle ramp, cost £45, folds in two, light but strong. Have put wheels on one end and got a tube fitted to the other end to fit into 'inkwells', which are mounted on the stern and bows. Works well. If you go on ebay and put in motorcycle ramp will see plenty for sale
Edit - see they are going for £35

Last edited:

macd

Visit site
I would welcome any guidance as to what sort of gangplank to get, where to get it and where to store it on the boat. :)

You call it a gangplank, which is what I now call my trusty length of larch. But I used to call it a fenderboard, and sometimes still do. Wouldn't fancy asking one of them fancy passerelle contraptions to do that job.

Incidentally, if you (or anyone else) anticipate ever needing the plank for bows-to parking, feel free to PM me. There's a simple, reliable and fairly cheap system for securing a plank at the bow. (I have one of those old-fashioned neutral-forward-sideways gearboxes, so generally go bow-to.)

Last edited:

rob2

Visit site
The folding ladder idea has its merits, but bear in mind that the locking mechanism rusts so needs to be regularly greased. I use one for access in the boatyard and sometimes leave it in the rain, regular squirts with WD40 keep it going but one day the springs will break.

Rob.

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Wha would be the actual weight of this ? Looks Bulky as well ?

Like the ladder suggestion very practical !

Actual weight about 7.4kg. Its all aluminium.

Unfolded it says it will take 340 kg. Wouldn't like to try but it certainly will do 150 kg without giving in the least.

Folded it fits in a cardboard box 1170mm long * 300mm * 155mm ( 46 * 12*6 )

I am trying to find a fabricator to make up a boat end post and cup hinge for mine. Might make up a couple of sets if anyone is interested.

ACE

Visit site
I am trying to find a fabricator to make up a boat end post and cup hinge for mine. Might make up a couple of sets if anyone is interested.

Wow it looks at lot more in the picture ... 150Kgs thats good thats gets me on board :rolleyes::eek:

What do you mean by a "end post and cup hinge " ...all this technical stuff :eek: