Gangplank

jordanbasset

Visit site
Actual weight about 7.4kg. Its all aluminium.

Unfolded it says it will take 340 kg. Wouldn't like to try but it certainly will do 150 kg without giving in the least.

Folded it fits in a cardboard box 1170mm long * 300mm * 155mm ( 46 * 12*6 )

I am trying to find a fabricator to make up a boat end post and cup hinge for mine. Might make up a couple of sets if anyone is interested.

Yes mine is the same, weight is a lot lighter than most other passerelles, including ladders (especially by the time they add planking). Have had the ends made up, with stainless steel swivelling bar and wheels added, cost £75, (makes £110 in total)but now have a passarelle which I believe is better than many on the market costing in excess of £400. Because it folds in the middle very easy to fold up and leave when not on the boat.

ACE

Visit site
i'm going down the folding ladder route..... I reckon you could easily add a guard rail as well to make the walk ashore safer... as well as fabricate mounts for both stern and bow

Sounds feasible and at the same time advisable as the ladder is quite narrow...... Would be interested to see end result. :D :D

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
Yes mine is the same, weight is a lot lighter than most other passerelles, including ladders (especially by the time they add planking). Have had the ends made up, with stainless steel swivelling bar and wheels added, cost £75, (makes £110 in total)but now have a passarelle which I believe is better than many on the market costing in excess of £400. Because it folds in the middle very easy to fold up and leave when not on the boat.

Got any sketches? Could you get a couple more made up?

jordanbasset

Visit site
Got any sketches? Could you get a couple more made up?

Will try and take some pictures tomorrow. You need it welded onto the ramp so best done in one go. Any stainless steel fabricators should be able to do it. Had ours done in Almerimar.I then fitted the stainless steel 'inkwell' to the stern and got the stainless steel fabricators here to fit a bar to my bow with another 'inkwell' so I can go stern or bows to. The bar at the front cost extra, I would have needed that even if I bought a purpose built passarelle. Makes getting on and off so much easier.

Last edited:

nimbusgb

www.umfundi.com
This is sort of what is needed. I'd take 3 tophats ( 2 for stern - one on first step of transom and one on top of transom. Sometimes you need a low boarding ramp - marina pontoons and sometimes a high one - ie levkas and other town quays.

The third I want to make up a triangulated 3 legged bracket that hangs off the toerail and can be positioned either at the bow or at the beam boarding gate so the ladder cantilevers off the rail and the side of the hull

Last edited:

jordanbasset

Visit site
Hi it works for me and more importantly my wife likes it (was not keen on our 'plank' before this), in her words she likes it because it is 'grippy'. The stainless steel rectangular bar from the bow which the passarelle sits in will cost extra,(about £70) but that would be the case however much you spent on the passarelle. Also this bar can be unbolted if you wish while sailing. If you just want to fit the passarelle from the stern then you would only need an inkwell, cost me £6.

Last edited:

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Will try and take some pictures tomorrow. You need it welded onto the ramp so best done in one go. Any stainless steel fabricators should be able to do it. Had ours done in Almerimar.I then fitted the stainless steel 'inkwell' to the stern and got the stainless steel fabricators here to fit a bar to my bow with another 'inkwell' so I can go stern or bows to. The bar at the front cost extra, I would have needed that even if I bought a purpose built passarelle. Makes getting on and off so much easier.

Sorry, what is inkwell?

Seajet

Visit site
I worked on a hotel barge on the French canals for a little while.

We had a well made alloy gangplank with detachable handrail ( posts & rope ), manhandling the thing into position when required.

2 things became clear; it needed wheels on the shore end, and I'd suggest lashings at the boat end, not anything rigid and breakable like mountings, even stainless.

Although there were obviously no tides, passing traffic was enough to rock our 280 tons and dislodge this substantial bit of kit, I still have nightmares about the elderly, poor sighted guest about to step on it when it was hanging by about 1mm of one corner !

charles_reed

Visit site
Passarelle - Simple wooden plank is most common good for <2.0m, modified ladder for longer.
Above cost €20 - 180
Italians have super 3-4 stage platens, usually electric remote.
Carbospars in mallorca do a number of hi-tech lightweight passarelles.
Costs €1200 - €5800.

Palarran

Visit site
Good suggestions

Hello all:
I'll be sailing to the Med next year and have been looking at my options on this. I have to say that in all of boat forums I've check out, this specific thread may have helped me the most. I had been looking at folding gangways that cost over $1000 US. The suggestion of ATV ramps was perfect. One hour later this is what I've got: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IA9A7M

It cost $450 US delivered but I get two of them. I like that the ramp is 14" wide as my father will be with me (78 years old) and he is going to need some stability and space. I'm thinking I can weld some pole holders on it so I can put a rail on.

They are quite long but I have a catamaran with scoops on the stern so it is a fair distance from boat to dock. I can also cut down the ends if I need it shorter. Thanks for the info.
David.