Galvansing Chain?

cliff

Visit site
And I still prefer Lsd (Pounds, Shillings and Pence) and feet and inches /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif - Oh - showing my age now..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

GMac

Visit site
What a great reply there Cliff. I had to do the same as jimbaerselman and look a few things up but learned new stuff, this is a good thing.

The strange bit is after reading your post I felt hungry. I think it was the Sorbite that got me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

FYI - all good manufacturers do normalise their chains. Seen it done and was quite exciting. Is that a sad thing to say /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What a great reply there Cliff. I had to do the same as jimbaerselman and look a few things up but learned new stuff, this is a good thing.

[/ QUOTE ]Just techie enough to whet the appetite then and not so techie that you got bored /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif[ QUOTE ]
The strange bit is after reading your post I felt hungry. I think it was the Sorbite that got me /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I actually felt thirsty but a nice bottle of single malt came to the rescue /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[ QUOTE ]
FYI - all good manufacturers do normalise their chains. Seen it done and was quite exciting. Is that a sad thing to say /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]I know, I know but If I had been emphatic about that point someone would have come in and said "No they don't".

Anyway glad you liked the explanation of why you can regalvanise anchor chain and why it might not be worth the hassle....... /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif
sailroom <span style="color:red">The place to auction your previously loved boatie bits</span>

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Great info Cliff

Am I correct in saying that if I got some chain that was hardened and tempered as used on chain hoists that had not been galvansed and then had it galvanised would this then normalise the chain as GMAC has recommended

cliff

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Great info Cliff

Am I correct in saying that if I got some chain that was hardened and tempered as used on chain hoists that had not been galvansed and then had it galvanised would this then normalise the chain as GMAC has recommended

[/ QUOTE ]No. Normalising is carried out at much higher temperatures than galvanising. You need to know at what temperature the chain was tempered in the first place before going for galvanising. If the chain was originally tempered at say 350°C and you galvanise at 450°C you will "draw" the temper and SLIGHTLY weaken the chain. If on the other hand the original tempering was done at say 500°C, galvanising at 450°C will not adversely affect the original temper.

I would suspect chain hoist chain to be tempered (if hardened) at around 500°C to impart ductility and toughness to the chain to enable it to better resist snatch or shock loadings.

Again the cost of galvanising old chain and reproofing it could be as costly as buying new chain already galvanised.
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif

A

Anonymous

Excellent post, thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GMac

Visit site
I've watched them normalise the chains and I don't know what temp they go to but the chain is glowing red hot. I'll ask my people, could be interesting to know.

cliff

Visit site
Normalising is carried out at 800~900°C depending on analysis.
--------------------
hammer.thumb.gif