Galley Tiles

clyst

Visit site
One for all you DIYers who have tiled your bathroom/kitchen ....... Im tiling the back of the galley and have to drill a few holes so .....

1 What type of bit ? masonry ? Or is there a special one ?

2.Fast or slow revs.?

3.Full size first or size in stages ?

Cheers .

ff_nick

Visit site
Purpose made tile drill. Two types; 1 is tapered, so starts small anyway, the other is hollow diamond-tipped, so full sized but only needed on really hard tiles. Always drill slow. Tip - mask the tile with tough masking tape (the blue stuff) and drill through that to stop the tip of the bit sliding everywhere.

cliff

Visit site
Im tiling the back of the galley and have to drill a few holes so .....

2.Fast or slow revs.?

Cheers .
What size of holes? - If screw size holes (up to say ¼"Ø) a tile drill (spear point) if ½" or bigger I would use a diamond core bit - Oh yes slow speed and water lubricated (more to remove the waste material than for cooling)

David2452

Visit site
Depends on the tiles, many are so soft that a decent sharp HSS drill at low speed does it, I have tile drills and hole saws too but many tiles just don't need them I find. Also use flexible tile cement rather than ordinary stuff.

Last edited:

Blueboatman

Visit site
One for all you DIYers who have tiled your bathroom/kitchen ....... Im tiling the back of the galley and have to drill a few holes so .....

2.Fast or slow revs.?

Cheers .

Sounds knackered mate, best bung it on a skip.

Or buy inexpensive tipped masonry bits, a variable or slow speed drill, gentle pressure . Starting without skidding off? Layers of masking tape if you are good, a plywood jig if alignment is critical.

A wrong hole can be corrected lightly once started by applying angle and side pressure to the drill.

Or bung it on a low loader to Preston, there's a MFV there with competent DIY tiling lol
Cheers!

clyst

Visit site
Sounds knackered mate, best bung it on a skip.

Or buy inexpensive tipped masonry bits, a variable or slow speed drill, gentle pressure . Starting without skidding off? Layers of masking tape if you are good, a plywood jig if alignment is critical.

A wrong hole can be corrected lightly once started by applying angle and side pressure to the drill.

Or bung it on a low loader to Preston, there's a MFV there with competent DIY tiling lol
Cheers!

Since you brought it up what's happening to the" white elephant . "........ And I don't mean you ,although .......