Galion 22

jpcarter30

Visit site
I've hit the wall and I need a bit of help here, people.

The Owners Association for the Galion 22 appears to have vanished from t'interweb and is nowhere to be found. Anybody know anything?

I've got the spec's from Sailboatdata.com but that appears to be it.

Any owners or previous owners got any details, photo's, brochures on the old girl?

All help would be greatly appreciated, particularly on refurbishing, re-builds or anything you have of interest that will further my knowledge of the boat.

Many thanks in advance.

jpcarter30

Visit site
Thanks, John.

I'm more interested in the lay out inside and the general all-round ability of the boat. I've heard good things about it and so I'm trying to gather as much info as possible before looking at a few.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Berths to port and starboard in the saloon. Heads to port fwd if I remember correctly and two in a very cosy forepeak.

Some had outboards on brackets and some got inboards. The one I sailed on got a brand new Vire inboard two stroke that was totally unreliable. I lost count of the number of times we took her back to the mooring with the Avon lashed alongside powered by a Seagull. (You could see where we'd been by the haze of oil on the water...)

She sailed beautifully if that's any help. A Galion 22 got placed very well in the Round The Island race many years ago IIRC.

We sailed Gallup in Milford Haven and out to Skokholm and Skomer. She'd been to Ireland with her previous owners.

FullCircle

Visit site
The Galion 22 is identified as my 'last' sailing boat when I have to give up Full Circle. They sail well, have row away factor, 5'9" headroom, bit of a galley/sink and a heads, and sea worthy. I nearly bought Naomi in Burnham when she was for sale, but even I recognised that is 15 years too early.
I can't say I have wavered from the Galion for the last 10 years. Not many about for sale at any one time though.
The Renault Couache engine parts are still available and there is a guy who rebuilds them. Or you can splash on a 1GM10 Yanmar.....

Tam Lin

Visit site
Went looking for my old PBO booklet of boat reviews but am worried now as I couldn't find it. Instead I found an even older, Roneod on foolscap size paper, which shows how old it is, booklet by the Marine Bureau of Rye. Anyway as well as the dimensions it says - excellent performer and surprisingly roomy with good headroom. Fairly basic finish to interior. From late 60's.
Will look for the other booklet later.

jpcarter30

Visit site
Thanks for that Tam Lin. That'll be helpful if you find it. I don't mind a stripped down interior at all. I'll go with the Spartan theme.

Thanks for the pics Bajan but I'll be looking for an outboard but helpful photos nonetheless.

Tam Lin

Visit site
Was a bit worried when I couldn't find my booklet but had an idea of where to look this afternoon - in the pile of PBO mags in the bottom of the wardrobe - found it!
I don't know if anyone remembers this publication from years ago. Anyway, there was a little bit about the Galion.

Which%20Boat_zpsdcwajclb.jpg

Galion%2022_zpsa2xpiut9.png

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
my first 'cabin' boat after the home built Mirror was a Galion 22 with a Tomas 4hp outboard motor and a bucket for a heads. http://www.michaelbriant.com/experience.htm

Three weeks after I got her I sailed her to Cherbour and back, which took a long time (24 hours I think) as there were light winds and the outboard only had two gallons of fuel. Later I sailed her to the channel islands. Absolutely beautiful and delightful little boat and a 'tear' fell down my cheek when the new owner sailed her away.

I hope you relay enjoy yours when you get her

fair winds

Michael