Gaffer tape !!

wallacebob

Visit site
Many years ago a yard “boy” reprimanded me; never use WD40, never leave masking tape on and never use duct tape on a boat. I have broken these rules, and always regretted it. Petrol is my go-to solvent.

dancrane

Visit site
Sorry I can't answer the question. I'm here in hopes of finding a chemical that will shift duct tape residue, from plastic window frames at home...

Reviews of that product include cases where its strength seems to have melted the plastic of the item beneath the adhesive.

I realise you suggested it for Refueler's benefit, on fibreglass where it may be terrific. But is it likely too harsh for plastics used in window frames?

Nothing else I've tried, worked. Chisel is tempting, but mainly because I'd just like a really good chisel.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
WD40 .... the goto that so many use for so many things - but find its crap !! It really is crap !

I only have it for squirting into locks and similar that are reluctant to work ...

Penetrating oil (e.g. Plus Gas) is better for, er, penetrating seized threads/mechanisms than WD40. (At least better than standard WD40 - I see WD40 now sells a specific 'WD40 Penetrant', but don't know whether it is just the same stuff in a different can.)

For locks that aren't completely seized, graphite is better than either. Definitely makes for smooth, easier turning of locks (I've used it on padlocks and house locks and latches). You can buy specific graphite liquid lock lubricant that appears to be finely powdered graphite in suspension in a liquid (for easier application) that evaporates after you've got it in the lock, but just sanding a bit off the end of a pencil lead will do, and prevent them getting in a seized state in the first place.

Refueler

Visit site
Penetrating oil (e.g. Plus Gas) is better for, er, penetrating seized threads/mechanisms than WD40. (At least better than standard WD40 - I see WD40 now sells a specific 'WD40 Penetrant', but don't know whether it is just the same stuff in a different can.)

For locks that aren't completely seized, graphite is better than either. Definitely makes for smooth, easier turning of locks (I've used it on padlocks and house locks and latches). You can buy specific graphite liquid lock lubricant that appears to be finely powdered graphite in suspension in a liquid (for easier application) that evaporates after you've got it in the lock, but just sanding a bit off the end of a pencil lead will do, and prevent them getting in a seized state in the first place.

Trouble with 'Penetrating Oils' - they are what we term Dry Oils with limited or near zero lubrication qualities. Its mainly solvent and it disperses to reduce the holding of grits / contaminants ..

Graphite is better agreed.

But WD40 is good when you have a winter cold lock that is reluctant ... its about the only time I recc'd WD40 ....

Bristolfashion

Visit site
I couldn't get plus gas quickly recently and tried the WD40 penetrant - seemed to work ok.

winch2

Visit site
Standard paint thinner or gun wash.. same thing really... The nasty stuff from the car repair shop. Strips just about everything...Dont get it in a cut... ouch!

Refueler

Visit site
Today got fed up seeing the tape ... I can see from my Office Desk ...

I took Hot Air gun and paint scraper .... made the wrist ache a bit - but the tape is now off. BUT I still have glue there ...

Was in Lidl and saw a bottle of Adhesive Remover ... bought and tried .... would take a week with that ... it starts but soon stops working ...

Later will try Goo-Gone ... have a box of the stuff ...

But most likely the rotary remover will be solution ..

dancrane

Visit site
"...never use duct tape on a boat."
Very likely there are better dedicated solutions for most problems than duct tape, but I wouldn't ever intentionally leave harbour without a roll aboard - its uses are so numerous and its strength and adhesion generally so dependable, it is a fabulous friend.

Particularly as 'Gorilla' makes white duct tape with all the brand's usual qualities, but which doesn't offend the eye.

Shifting its residue entirely at a later date can be a pig, but it wouldn't be much use if it just blew loose or peeled away when wet.

kwb78

Visit site
Multisolve is excellent for getting sticky residue off. It definitely works on gaffer tape glue. It's also very useful for dressing off silicone sealants etc. I always try to have a can handy.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com