Gaff schooner sunk in Brixham

Stemar

Visit site
Sorry, but concrete is nothing like coral. Coral is basically either Calcite or Aragonite (different crystal forms of Calcium Carbonate) and is a biological product that is stable at seawater temperatures. Concrete is a mix of all sorts of hydrated silicate minerals and is actually pretty unstable at seawater temperatures. Concrete leaches various unhelpful things in a wet environment; so much so that in highly sensitive environments like Antarctica its use is discouraged unless unavoidable.
Thanks for that. I always thought concrete was mostly CaCO4. If it's unstable in seawater, what do they do when building bridge pillars?

D

Deleted member 36384

Thanks for that. I always thought concrete was mostly CaCO4. If it's unstable in seawater, what do they do when building bridge pillars?

Not being flippant, they add stabilizers to the slurry, plus other additives to enhance the properties. There are also many types of cement powders. For example, in the oilfield we have Class A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and Poznix, Pozmix 140 cements. A catalogue of additives shows over 100 different additives that control fluid loss when the cement sets, plus accelerators and retarders for use in saltwater. The retarder stops the slurry setting fast in saltwater and achieving poor strength. Alcatraz slurry design would have been unsophisticated by today’s standards. I believe the civil engineering slurry designs use different designations for the bulk powders and chemicals.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
You've intrigued me enough to have a look. It appears that set cement doesn't actually contain any calcium carbonate. From Hydration:

Hardened paste consists of the following:
Ettringite (hydrous calcium aluminium sulfate - JD): 15 to 20%
Calcium silicate hydrates, CSH : 50 to 60%
Calcium hydroxide (lime): 20 to 25%
Voids : 5 to 6% (in the form of capillary voids and entrapped and entrained air)​

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Not being flippant, they add stabilizers to the slurry, plus other additives to enhance the properties. There are also many types of cement powders. For example, in the oilfield we have Class A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H and Poznix, Pozmix 140 cements. A catalogue of additives shows over 100 different additives that control fluid loss when the cement sets, plus accelerators and retarders for use in saltwater. The retarder stops the slurry setting fast in saltwater and achieving poor strength. Alcatraz slurry design would have been unsophisticated by today’s standards. I believe the civil engineering slurry designs use different designations for the bulk powders and chemicals.
I think that the point is that although Chalk or limestone is a major ingredient in making concrete, the result is not Calcite or Aragonite, but a mixture of low-temperature silicates, and so is quite different from the skeletons of reef-forming organisms. As you say, additives are used to stabilize it in various environments, but even so, in the long run, concrete is unstable and will deteriorate - even though it may take a very long time by human standards; after all, Roman concrete is still going strong in many places! But the use of concrete is strongly deprecated in sensitive environments, and where it has been used, the goal is to remove it. One of my projects was to create a geographic database of field equipment around the BAS base at Rothera in Antarctica, and anything made of concrete was included with the goal of removing it as soon as its original purpose was fulfilled.

trevbouy

Visit site
Back on topic.

Well gents we have another ! Not a sinking but an abandonment.

I saw this in the harbour two years ago but thought it was still fishing but apperently not.

The MV Accumulate has been seized, put up for auction but I suspect it will be left for the harbour authorities to dispose of.

auction.jpg

seizure.jpg

stern.jpg

stern2.jpg

fullboat.jpg

Last edited:

trevbouy

Visit site
I also looked at Sea Beast today. She has been tied up from many points, not least the masts held from keeling over. You can see the ropes in the middle of the pics plus the bollards they are moored to.
There is also an automatic bilge pump plugged into the shore supply cabinet. (The thin yellow cable bottom right)

masts.jpg
mooring.jpg

fenders.jpg

Rappey

Visit site
The boat is not cast from concrete though. It's usually sulphate resisting cement which is a lot more resistant to aggressive environments and mixed with very fine washed sand at a 1:1 ratio, making it impervious to water. Liming can occur producing osmosis type bubbles under the paint but it's due to the sand not being clean enough
Surely if it leeched it's contents the paint would blister like mad.
From visiting Alcatraz I was under the impression it was the steel rusting blowing off the concrete.

penfold

Visit site