Gaff schooner sunk in Brixham

pvb

Visit site
Back on topic.

Well gents we have another ! Not a sinking but an abandonment.

I saw this in the harbour two years ago but thought it was still fishing but apperently not.

The MV Accumulate has been seized, put up for auction but I suspect it will be left for the harbour authorities to dispose of.

It surely can't be beyond the capabilities of the harbour authority to trace the owner and take legal action against them?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It surely can't be beyond the capabilities of the harbour authority to trace the owner and take legal action against them?
Je l'ai vendu à un bloke qui j'ai rencontré dans une auberge. Il a dit qu'il s'appellait "Dave". Je ne l'a vu pas avant cette date ni depuis. Il a payé en espèces. Pardon, écuyer.

Last edited:

Stemar

Visit site
Boat owned by a limited company with no other assets? Or by an old, sick skipper living in rented accommodation - or even a modest owned home, when the cost of rehousing him after taking his home would exceed what they got from making him bankrupt.

Frogmogman

Visit site
Je l'ai vendu à un bloke qui j'ai rencontré dans une auberge. Il a dit qu'il s'appellait "Dave". Je ne l'a vu pas avant cette date ni depuis. Il a payé en espèces. Pardon, écuyer.

Love the use of the word écuyer. I shall introduce it into my own Franglais forthwith.

Last edited:

trevbouy

Visit site
I have the seizure notice in hi-res so I'm able to read it easily.

It's addressed to a Mr Gareth Reynolds at an address in North London. A Google search shows it as a semi detached house in Neasdon.

The auction date passed a week ago. I'll make enquiries.

As for a walk round Sea Beast then no thanks. It is starting to smell a bit. I would need to dress in work clothes something I haven't done in years :D

Fimacca

Visit site
Well at least Torbay is rid of one lump of junk of a fishing boat. Its been there 3 years.
I spoke to the starry eyed new owner of sea beast when he bought it for a song from the sale after being abandoned. He said he was going to sail it to the pacific. Good luck I said !
Ports have real trouble with GRP boats that last for years being neglected. I realise that.

I have sailed out of Brixham for some years. Its a nice 'real ' town , but the rotting boats about and the inept council run moorings system there encouraged me to bale out and head for plymouth. The Brixham sailing club there was lovely, with great staff. Do visit and use the 2 club pontoons to visit instead of the town quay. Just tie up for the night and see the ladies behind the bar when it opens. Its cheap. I will miss the club.

I counted a total of 6 dumped and rotting boats in the outer harbour last season with Harbour Authority warning stickers on them , mostly from the previous year, 2019. I regularly retied 2 of them (blue string and nylon crap) so they did not break loose and hit other nicer boats nearby. (despite reporting to the harbourmaster).
I am afraid some places are just not run properly.

dom

Visit site
Still sat alongside on 30/03/2021. I need to report that the Rockfish Haddock and Chips were the best in Devon.

Is that the same Rockfish as Dartmouth?

Unbelievably massive queues last summer, so guessing you’re right :)

psammead

Visit site
Yeah, we've been to the one at the quay and Exmouth. Been to the Brixham restaurant and taken advantage of the locals 3rd Friday of the month at Brixham takeaway many times. This lockdown business has robbed us of quality fish & chips!! ?

Rappey

Visit site
Did I read correctly much earlier in this thread that those are repairs on the side of the hull and not just where the paint has been rubbed off ?

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Yeah, we've been to the one at the quay and Exmouth. Been to the Brixham restaurant and taken advantage of the locals 3rd Friday of the month at Brixham takeaway many times. This lockdown business has robbed us of quality fish & chips!! ?
Finding quality fish and chips in Devon is a challenge!

In the last 10 years the best fish and chips I've had was in Leeds.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
The outside part of Rockfish in Exmouth was washed away in the storms about 6 weeks ago. I’m guessing Mitch will have it replaced by now. I’ll take a look tomorrow.
There are quite a few excellent fish and chip places in Plymouth. My current favourite is the Barbican fish bar.

Back to your pic of the sunken schooner, it looks to me as though it’s sitting on a large plinth.

trevbouy

Visit site
Nah. Best fish and chips are at Scoffs at Paignton high street just up from the train level crossing. Rockfish are more expensive.

Sea Beast has a full length deep keel and is resting on the sand, that's probably what you can see.

Yes the light grey patches are cement repairs from the sinking. It's where the boat hull kept banging against the pontoon when the fenders were stolen. It cracked and let water in leading to the sinking. In both cases.

The boat that received the bids for removal is the large fishing trawler MV Accumulate, moored right across from Rockfish. I say moored as I've never seen it afloat in most tides.

As for Sea Beast they are waiting for bids from demolition companies to break up and remove the remnants. They are required to produce a plan of demolition to ensure no contamination of the harbour would occur.
My own thoughts were to tow it over to the launch slip and break up on the concrete slip. Probably the easiest to contain any contaminants. Over a third of the slip is not in use.

Still sat alongside on 30/03/2021. I need to report that the Rockfish Haddock and Chips were the best in Devon.

View attachment 112506

Sandy, I was probably sat on one of the benches across the harbour next to the monument to fishermen. It's currently surrounded by flowers for the loss of the local boat Joanna C whilst scalloping over in Sussex.