Furriners in the Swale

Cantata

Visit site
Briefly met Messrs MoodySabre and Flipper_K6354 at Harty this afternoon. Delighted to make your acquaintances, and a thousand pardons for my family commitments that meant we couldn't join you for longer.

Athene V30

Playa del Ingles, Gran Canaria in Winter, the boat
Visit site
Read the book, now met the man!

Good to see you. It did calm down later and by 2100 it was still with a beautiful sky full of stars. We didn't venture ashore. I was treated to haute cuisine onboard the mighty Sabre. Delicious it was too.

Sunday 0600 was a bit claggy - well at one stage I thought the bow had vanished! Cleared well before I got to Middle Sand and the forts
[image]
RedSandTowers.jpg
[/image]
Splendid sail from SW Barrow all the way back to Brightlingsea. Tried the kite in the snuffer just past Wallet Spitway but there is too much sail for it to slide up / down easily. Am planning to get a cruising chute and will use it for that - thanks!

The only picture I got of Sabre had him quite a way astern of Flipper. Still I suppose I did start before him and go a shorter route!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
[image]
SabreapproachingSandEnd.jpg
[/image]

Cantata

Visit site
Sounds like you had an excellent run home, you lucky lot. When I did that same round-trip a few weeks ago I motored almost the whole way, both ways.
Don't forget I'm happy to take the snuffer back if you change your mind.

MoodySabre

Visit site
It was very nice to meet you and Mrs Cantata - a new boat fund may be started shortly after a tour of Cornsilk /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

When FlipperK was at the Whitaker going out we were about 5 miles behind. Our route was 8 miles longer and we caught him up in the Swale /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Another mile or two and we'd have had him!

It was a very pleasant, albeit windy and bumpy evening rafted up but a quite night. FlipperK disappeared into the morning mist at 0600 but by 0610 we couldn't see the boat on the next mooring. We left at 0630 and just went in what we thought was the right direction until the depth got down to 0.1m under the keel /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif We then got sensible and I manned the Yeoman and shouted instructions whilst crew helmed and eventually we got to Columbine Spit when it cleared to another beautiful day /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

We motored to the Red Sand Forts, up with the chute to S Barrow, closed hauled to Whitaker, chute up again (gybed the chute as we turned into the Blackwater /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gifnever done that before) and shot up the river at 7.4 knots. Not too much weed on the boat perhaps. ARCeveryman said he saw us and tried to come across from the Mersea side to pull a colregs stunt on us but we disappeared into the distance /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif Nice bottle of wine on Friday though Ian.

Great weekend - pics to follow. Hope you all enjoyed the weather - heard Morgana on the VHF "out by the lightships" - hope you got further than that Neil /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

FulmarJeddo

Home-Sidcup, boat-Lower Halstow, Kent, England
Visit site
Glad you had a good trip. I did set off from the Medway Saturday afternoon to come round and join you. We only get about 3-4hrs of tide at Lower Halstow so was quite late leaving. The wind seemed to be a bit more northerly on the river so thought we were going to get a good sail along the front of Sheppey. After the first tack almost to Southend we then realised that the Easterly wind was going to mean a very late arrival at Harty. Should have taken notice of the forecast and gone round the back of the island. So decided to give up and head for Queenborough where a couple of other boats from our club were heading. We didn't pick up a buoy until about 7pm there. Still plenty of time to get ashore for a beer or two.
May be I will venture north some time.
David

MoodySabre

Visit site
Re: Furriners in the Swale (pics)

Ten miles from land - well not quite - East Barrow at LW
eastbarrow.jpg

Shivering Sands despite a warm day
Shiveringsands1.jpg

and here comes a chopper to chop of your head
turbine.jpg

shouldn't have been here /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif
windbase.jpg

Redsands forts
redsands.jpg

I see Bastonjock has been here
redsands1.jpg

What a fabulous weekend and an interesting trip.