Fuel tank sender problem

sealinef36

Visit site
The fuel gauge on our 1989 Nimbus 2600 has been playing up lately and I suspect the (VDO) sender to be at fault (probably the float sticking). Lifted the cockpit sole at the weekend to get at the tank and I'm not sure how to take the sender out to inspect it. Logic says remove the five screws and just pull it out, but I can't see how I'll be able to negotiate the float mechanism through what seems quite a small hole ! Also not sure if they are screws - or bolts with nuts on the inside of the tank. Failing that it looks as though I may have to remove the whole inspection panel surrounding it. VDO have given me details of the updated sender as mine is now obsolete. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated. 2015-08-31 14.44.53.jpg

Keith-i

Visit site
I would start by carefull loosening one of the screws. If it starts to rise up then the nut/thread is captive and you are fine. If it loosens then starts to spin freely then you know it is loose nuts and you'll have to undo the whole plate. From my experience the float and arm are designed to pass through the hole with a bit of careful manipulation.

salar

harley25refit.blogspot.co.uk
Agree with the above. It may not be a float on an arm, there are also floats that go up and down on a pole but these may not go back to 1989. Either way it will come out of the standard five hole cap.

pvb

Visit site
I replaced the VDO fuel sender on my old boat last year. Just remove the screws and the sender mechanism will lift out. Mine was a tube-type sender, but the float arm type can also be easily manipulated through the hole.

Fendant

Visit site
Well the cheapo automotive mechanical sender is really crap. They have a tendency to get stuck and/or give erronuous readings. Most owners have thrown them out ( yes, you can pull them through the little hole ) and replaced them with a suitable capacitive sensor from Wema or Philippi. The latter also supplies a adapter ring to make it drop in interchangeable. The whole Exchange job takes less than 10 minutes.
I have a reliable reading ever since I did it.

Slowtack

Visit site
The metal flange should have a recess (reduction in diameter) somewhere on its circumference that will enable you to remove the unit.