Fuel Economy

gabe63

Visit site
Greetings,
My wife and I are looking to live aboard, originally we where looking at a motor sailor but have decided that with some back problems a motor cruiser would be a smarter move, so without further a'do the first question is could someone tell me if I purchased a Sealine 305 Statesman with twin 200HP diesels what would or should I expect from her at 15/16knots cruising speed, also same boat with twin 130hp diesels. Secondly with upwards of 45k to spend and considering me my wife and the swabby (also known as molly our much loved Staffy cross) would be a good buy to live aboard. All suggestions and advice welcome.

trev

Visit site
The Stateman 305 would be a bit small for a live-aboard, although I know of some which are used this way. Fuel economy at the speeds your talking would probably be around 12 gph with either engine config.
I reckon for your money a bit of Dutch steel would be more practical, if you don't really need the speed.

chris66

xoomer.alice.it
Hi, Depends on whether they are direct or indirect injection, my guess is slightly more than 12 gallons per hour.

I know that this is a bit cheeky, but my boat on sale (see site below) offers more space for less money and Antibes is a lot more pleasant to live on board than "slightly North of Hull" (no offense...).
Otherwise, with £50-60K I would agree with the suggestion that Dutch steel is a good idea.
Have fun,

Viscount

Visit site
I have a 285 with 130hp engines - I get 8 gph or better at 16kts. My average consumption is 2nm/gall and I usually cruise between 18 and 22kts.