fuel consumption.

oldgit

Visit site
Went for quick whizz on the boat this afternoon and this time I looked at the fuel flow meter on the console.The numbers are as follows.At 5/6 knots the engine is using 10 litres per hour.At 15 Knots the meter says I am using 30 litres per hour.By my calculations at 72p per litre works out a at £7.20 per hour for slow cruise or £ 22.00 per hour for sort of fast ish whizz.As about 1-2 hours gets you most places in my neck of the woods it looks like a day out will cost £ 50.00 or so.
Consider the cost of a day out on terra firma using car etc and it is a blooming cheap day out esp if you have half a dozen people on board who bring their own "Refreshments".Princess 25. 175 HP petrol engine.

scottie

Visit site
for a realistic fuel consuption you also have to look at boat speed on most planing boats miles/gallons usually has best figures below displacement speed and worst at semi displacement with better mpg at planing speed ad in that best consuption rate of engine number of people on board all up weight sea state wnd tide direction etc and it is really quite simple as long as you remember that regardless of the power used to drive the boat a petrol unit will take all the fuel that you put in it.
BUT as rule of thumb for tankage 1 gallon of petrol will give 10hp per hour and a deisel 20hp per hour

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Looked at purely on the basis of fuel consumed any boating weekend or holiday is cheap compared to other ways of blowing your wad but the trouble with boats is that fuel is only a small part of the cost of boating, about 10-15% in my case and thats before you start thinking about depreciation, financing charges, loss of interest etc
A cheap day out? I dont think so

hlb

RIP
Visit site
No. The marina bills just come, the reupholstery bill, the liftout, antifouling, anodes, relaunch, tow to berth, winter service and the radio licence is due anytime. Dont add them up!!

Dont forget to order your Burgee. PM me.

Haydn