Friendly or snooty?

simongoldthorpe

Visit site
Newish to boating (4-5 years) and based on a swinging mooring in Poole Harbour I wondered if anyone has experience of any of the boat clubs around Poole.
I get the impression that you have to be in the 'in-crowd' to join.
Are they worth joining, what sort of facilities do they have, do you have to wear silly hats and listen to condescending lectures from those with years of experience.
I love boating but it would be nice to share it with a few others and am often too short handed to get out on the boat (Princess 315) .
Perhaps I sound too cynical to be a useful member of a club!

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Na! I feel just the same about clubs and silly hats. Oh and blazers thats another one. On the other hand you do seem to have eventualy done the right thing and joined this club. Here there are no rules and no membership. Exept dont shout at newbies. Else get in serious trouble!! You'll find loads of new friends here. No need to bother with poxy clubs.

<font color=red> No one can force me to come here-----------
----- I'm a Volunteer! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Haydn

Geoffs

Visit site
I tend to be around Poole quite a bit but not joined any formal clubs. The yard where I keep my boat is a friendly place and the management arrange all sorts of social events. We have a evening trip to Green Island once a year. Marvellous.

I got involved with the RMYC earlier this year, a very friendly bunch, but I think you got to be in the 'in crowd' to be there.

Apart form that, people hereabouts are a sociable bunch. Hoping to meet Duncan and BarryH in Studland tomorrow, maybe a few jars at the Bankes. At one time a group of us were going to meet at Wareham during half term week. Not sure if that is still on or not.

Old Chinese proverb 'Man who sail boat into rice field, soon get into paddy'

Geoffs

Visit site
Poole Boat Park, dry berthing on West Quay Road. Excellent facility for a small boat.

Must pass you every time I go out of the harbour.

Geoffs

Visit site
No, it died. I had a letter from the people who tried to get it going, but they said they hadn't the time to devote to it, and asked for volunteers to take over. Thought about it, but could see it being very time consuming, and possibly thankless.