Freezer lid- potentially daft idea

Rappey

Visit site
You could actually recess the pvc frame so top of sash is 10mm below counter top surface and bond some ply over the top to give a flush finish

Attachments

• 20240630_103710.jpg
    20240630_103710.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1

Neeves

Visit site
If you go the uPVC route and your wallet is healthy you could choose a frame matching a common size and instead of encasing the whole thing in wood, or insulated panels, have double glazed door - and then you might be able to see inside without opening it.

Jonathan

Sea Change

Visit site
If you go the uPVC route and your wallet is healthy you could choose a frame matching a common size and instead of encasing the whole thing in wood, or insulated panels, have double glazed door - and then you might be able to see inside without opening it.

Jonathan
The u-value of a glazed unit won't be as good as a few inches of closed cell polyurethane foam, although it would be a neat idea.

Neeves

Visit site
I'm sure that with time and the right materials and work space, I could do similar. But you'll know what it's like trying to get hold of building materials in the Caribbean. Not impossible, but far from easy.
I was trying to find a source for PIR insulation sheets, no luck, but came across some on a beach in Antigua 😂.
Just setting up a decent work bench with access to power isn't going to be easy. Unless we make this a boatyard job, but we will want to get launched as soon as possible so anything that can be left until we are afloat will not be high enough priority.

The appeal of the window idea is that it's an off the shelf solution. A brand new opening window frame is only about £100 at this kind of size.
You imply difficulty in sourcing uPVC frames.

I became intrigued and a quick google search came up with a number of options

caribbeanmetalslimited.com seem to think they are ideal (but then they would as the appear to sell them) and say 90% of all windows in Barbados are UPVC

Jonathan