free to roam

james-will1

Visit site
could some one if possible tell me of any books written about people or persons who have just given everything up and bought a boat and just sailed away to sea without any experience please there must be some and would appreciate your help in this please as I would like to read these books

maby

Visit site
"Shrimpy" by Shane Acton. I think it's out of print, but it is not too difficult to find a PDF with a few minutes of web searching.

skipmac

Winter in Florida, Summer Martha's Vineyard
Visit site
There was a quite famous family among US sailing circles that bought a large cat and took off to cruise the world. Various misadventures but made it alive. They blogged the whole thing called themselves the Bumfuzzles.

https://www.bumfuzzle.com/

Bottom line, it can be done, some have done it but in my experience the odds are probably 40 or 50 to one against success. The huge majority of totally inexperience newbies that plan to or actually take off on major ocean voyages with little to no experienc fail.

The majority become overwhelmed by the magnitude of buying and prepping a boat for the trip. Many of those that actually do leave port end up abandoning the trip at the first stop or even calling for rescue and leaving the boat. Some end up sunk or wrecked, a few are lost.

Last edited: