France to Portugal - checkout to reclaim 10 days at sea?

scr0che

Visit site
Checked in to France, sailing 10 days offshore to Madeira - can I check out of France to reclaim 10 days on my Schengen clock? Or is it once you're in you're in?!

srm

Visit site
A few years ago a Passport official in Ponta Delgada stamped my Canadian wife out of Schengen for what he thought was a passage to mainland Portugal, just in case "you finish up in Morocco".

In fact we were checking out to go to the next island, Santa Maria, but I had told him "Ville de Porto", its harbour.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
In theory, you can't check out of Schengen unless leaving the territory so, as Goldie says, declare somewhere such as Gib or Morocco as next stop. If you're pulled in say Spain or Portugal, just say you had unforeseen technical issue and had to return to land;)

A passage France to Madeira goes outside territorial waters and hence, I would have thought, out of Schengen territory.

As indeed one would sailing from mainland Portugal to Madeira.

Otherwise, when getting back from a round the world non-stop voyage that started from a Shengen country, a third country citizen would be in big trouble for 'overstaying'.

How you explain that in French (or Portuguese) to the relevant official I can't help you with. :D

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
A passage France to Madeira goes outside territorial waters and hence, I would have thought, out of Schengen territory.
As indeed one would sailing from mainland Portugal to Madeira.
Otherwise, when getting back from a round the world non-stop voyage that started from a Shengen country, a third country citizen would be in big trouble for 'overstaying'.
How you explain that in French (or Portuguese) to the relevant official I can't help you with. :D

Someone reported here a while ago, their request for booking out to sail to Canaries was refused as the destination is in Schengen as is Madeira, despite being in international waters for most of the way.

billskip

Visit site
In theory, you can't check out of Schengen unless leaving the territory so, as Goldie says, declare somewhere such as Gib or Morocco as next stop. If you're pulled in say Spain or Portugal, just say you had unforeseen technical issue and had to return to land;)
Orcas spring to mind...I need to check my rudder...

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Someone reported here a while ago, their request for booking out to sail to Canaries was refused as the destination is in Schengen as is Madeira, despite being in international waters for most of the way.
The official is being a pillock but don’t argue; just say you’re going to Morocco and if you end up changing your mind, the immigration in the Canaries can’t argue.

geem

Visit site
It happened to us. Said we were going to Canaries. They refused to check us out. So I said in that case we will go direct to Cap Verde's. We had 85 days on our visa. In the event we still went to the Canaries before pushing on to Antigua. They couldn't argue with us so did the stamp out.