france lay up

robertj

Visit site
I have a plan next year to cruise gently down the west coast of France then onto Portugal there after. but I would want to stay for the winter in France for the winter. My question is where is the best place in atlantic france for a winter layup safe and fairly reasonable? Any advice greatly appreciated.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
We over-wintered afloat at Rochefort, which was everything anyone would want. Ashore berths were available but limited in number. However, this was a long time ago (2004) and the situation may now be different. We moved on from there to Royan, where we had the mast lifted off for the Canal du Midi. At the time there were more free berths there and the port was good, not expensive.

Caladh

Visit site
We over-wintered afloat at Rochefort, which was everything anyone would want. Ashore berths were available but limited in number. However, this was a long time ago (2004) and the situation may now be different. We moved on from there to Royan, where we had the mast lifted off for the Canal du Midi. At the time there were more free berths there and the port was good, not expensive.

+1 for Rochefort. Very reasonable cost at the time, secure and sheltered BUT like Vyv we wintered there back in 2008/09.

Last edited:

charles_reed

Visit site
Rochefort, Marans or, if you want a more exciting place, les Minimes in la Rochelle.

In that area there are about another 22 marinas, all @ similar prices and all considerably cheaper than the UK S Coast, though the hard-standing charges are closer to the UK.

artemis07

Visit site
We spent a winter in Rochefort a few years ago. Great town, lots of naval history, easy to get to. Very safe. The limit for craning out was 15 tons. I believe the lock opening times are on the website (a few minutes before HW). Very popular so book ahead. Even if you don't want to spend the winter there, make every effort to visit for a few days.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
We spent a winter in Rochefort a few years ago. Great town, lots of naval history, easy to get to. Very safe. The limit for craning out was 15 tons. I believe the lock opening times are on the website (a few minutes before HW). Very popular so book ahead. Even if you don't want to spend the winter there, make every effort to visit for a few days.

I spent the day in Rochefort just 3 days ago. The marina was full but there seemed to be berths available in the basin. Loved the town, beautiful old buildings, many of the historic naval ones are, or have been restored. Have made a mental note to visit by boat asap. Plenty going on in town, a very large market on the day we were there. I bet it's buzzing in summer.

DownWest

Visit site
I spent the day in Rochefort just 3 days ago. The marina was full but there seemed to be berths available in the basin. Loved the town, beautiful old buildings, many of the historic naval ones are, or have been restored. Have made a mental note to visit by boat asap. Plenty going on in town, a very large market on the day we were there. I bet it's buzzing in summer.
Outer basin is being dredged at the moment and restricts movement. But will be OK in the new year.
The market you noticed is every Sat morn and is one of the best in the area. Certainly buzzing in summer.
Any specific questions I might be able to help on, ask, as it is only 20mins away and I am often there.