France, Belium or Holland?

clivew05

Visit site
Well, what was intended as a haul and scrub in November last year turned into a complete antifould strip (back to gel coat) re application and then whilst inspecting a small water leak from the starboard header tank - a head gasket replacement .. but its nearly over and im hoping to get her back in the water in the next month or two.

That has nothing to do with the question just some useless information hehe.

The question is - this season I was hoping to take my first trip across the channel but cannot decide on what would be the best trip to do (possibly on our own and not in the company of other boats) I will be starting from the River Crouch on the east coast as well, and all in a long weekend (maybe 3 days) ... both my first mate and I have ICC and CEVNI, plus MOBO 2 certification, all the radio stuff etc ... but I have a blind 6 year old son and we have to consider where we moor up - the boat has stern only access so would need to have that facility, also cant leave her on drying out mooring, and do not have a tender so anchoring somewhere is not a possibility at the moment ....

So the idea is to get across, and moor up somewhere that would have amusement for the kids (6 and 14) nice restaurants, easy and guaranteed pontoon moorings and not to difficult to navigate too?

Any ideas or is all that a little too much to expect?

Thanks in advance

mainshiptom

Visit site
Neiwport and canals into brugge ! If you have time up to holland into the veerse meer ! and Middlburg.

We loved Brugge moored for 7 euros a night and had a great time for a week,really good food, beer and wine at an affordbale price.

You will have a great time.

Tom

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
Ostende is very nice too. Go into the Mercator Marina which will alow stern to mooring. excellent restaurants...not so sure about things for kids but there must be...

If you need details there are plenty here who have been and will give more info and there is a forumite who posts on the fuel price page who keeps his boat there who is very helpful.

jimh

Visit site
we had our first trip over the year before last - for a 3 day weekend I would recommend Dunkerque initially - you can plan your passage across the estuary to pass off Ramsgate then a short crossing past the sandiette lightship before you turn left for Dunkerque (you could alternately try Calais). You have a choice of marinas all with typical facilities. Dunkerques not a 'great' place to visit - there is a nice beach to the left of the marina's and the town is a short walk away.

I recommend this for your first crossing as it is a good confidence booster - you are never out of sight of land (or at least you shouldn't be!) and there are plenty of marks along the way.

We have since crossed direct from Harwich to Vlissengen and done the Veersemeer which is truly fantastic - but would budget on a week minimum for that trip.

Oostend is also nice if you fancy the more direct aproach for your first crossing.

good luck.

clivew05

Visit site
Yes please if anyone has any suggestions and can give details of how to get there and info on the places to that would be good - it will be a daunting trip and pretty scary too I would imagine as it will be the first time that we will have gone out of sight of a shore line for any length of time - so if anyone has say waypoints etc for the crossing and any special advice such as - mind the big floating things under power that aim for you - or there is a nasty pointy rock at xx:xx:xxx then that too would be very good - not to mention and local information on the places them selves ..

Once again many thanks - Ill print off all info to prepare ... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

D3B

www.cutting-solutions.co.uk
you need to watch out for the floaty things that might aim for you but im pretty sure there are no pointy rock things that will get in your way. a few shallow areas depending on where you are going from.

when were you think of making the passage?

jimh

Visit site
lurking as usual!!!

Give up boating?? never!

Let me know when you are thinking of going - may well muster a crew up myself and join you!

DAKA

Visit site
Very ambitious for three days, if you choose the wrong 3 days it could be the end of family boating.

Why not cross the Thames Estuary to Ramsgate or Dover a week end or two before, leaving the boat and then cross to Boulogne for your relaxing three days ?

Dover great for Hire cars in walking distance and one of the few places open on Sundays.

Boulogne
Sheltered beach, restaurants, Hypermarket all in walking distance, 24 hour access, if you cant get the perfect berth in the tidal harbour then the Marina is accessed by free flow lock (open 5 hours per tide ish).

Nickcf

Visit site
As someone else has noted Brugge is a great place to visit, but it is a long trip for the first crossing! Flandria yacht Club is good for mobo's (no raggies as max depth is 1.6m) and very close to the town. You need a least 4-5 days for Brugge trip though as locks and canals are very time consuming.

For a first trip though I'd recommend france (Calais or Boulogne perhaps). Calais is quieter as within the lock and there are good newish pontoons (bow or stern to). YC is excellent for a drinks and there are some top restaurants nearby. Only snag with Calais is that the shore power is only 6 amp ie small kettles only! You need to time the lock openings however to avoid a long wait as only 5 openings per tide.

clivew05

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
For a first trip though I'd recommend france (Calais or Boulogne perhaps). Calais is quieter as within the lock and there are good newish pontoons (bow or stern to)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes I had considered Calais but I got a book on French coast ports and Marinas and showed it to the Other half, the text said - "only 10 waiting bouys which you will more often than not have to raft up to for 1+ hours, and its quite uncomfortable in the tidal area there - then a mad dash for the locks. Also if not planning on staying for 3+ days you are not alowed in the Marina - but instead you have to raft up sometimes 5 deep (depending on time in season) alongside." this immediately put her off and nuff said .... brugge on the other hand might be a possibility - i will have to look up where it is .... as I say rafting even two deep is a NO NO! cos of the little blind nipper.

As to when I am thinking of going - it would have to be a bank holiday in the summer might be able to get a day either side - but as I am self employed a day off is a lot of money to loose and a couple of days would be max I could loose without loosing my house or something else .....

Thanks and keep the suggestions coming /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nickcf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes I had considered Calais but I got a book on French coast ports and Marinas and showed it to the Other half, the text said - "only 10 waiting bouys which you will more often than not have to raft up to for 1+ hours, and its quite uncomfortable in the tidal area there - then a mad dash for the locks. Also if not planning on staying for 3+ days you are not alowed in the Marina - but instead you have to raft up sometimes 5 deep (depending on time in season) alongside." this immediately put her off and nuff said .... brugge on the other hand might be a possibility - i will have to look up where it is .... as I say rafting even two deep is a NO NO! cos of the little blind nipper.

[/ QUOTE ]

The calais lock is open approx every 60 minutes (-2,-1,0,+1.15,+1.30 hrs around HT) so wait time is down to when you time arrival. I usually manage to get in within 15 mins max. If you go at a French holiday weekend then yes can be a problem possibly but they do let visitors (even for overnight) moor in Pontoon B as well as the official visitors berths. Last few times I've visited there were plenty of pontoon moorings. Also the staff have obviously been on a training course as they always ask if the mooring is ok and can they do anything for you!

You wouldn't be able to do any justice to a Brugge trip in two or even three days IMHO and to put in perspective though, 70 miles Dover to Ostende can be a lot rougher than 23 miles Dover to Calais for a first trip! At worst you are only 40 mins away from a port on the Calais run.
Alternatively Boulogne is a bit further but a good town. Can be noisy and smelly (fish) but it is possible to get in the new locked marina I understand (not been in there yet).

My first ever cross channel trip in 2001 was Calais and went like a dream!

pennycar9

Visit site
Totally agree with you Doug, Ostend is excellent. easy to get to, Mercator Marina easy,good pontoons for stern on moorings, and bang in the middle of town. an easy trip fist time across from the Crouch.

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
Just trying to think a bit more laterally....

Boulogne has a very active fishing fleet, as well as plenty of entertainment for children such as the sealife centre and the Maison du Marbre, a museum of marble and geology, which is very tactile, and interesting walled town, largely pedestrianised.... and your son may appreciate it more than some of the other places.

Calais IMHO isn't that nice a place, the walk into town isn't great from the marina, involves a busy road, and again, may not be the easiest for you...

Oostende.... great place.... lots to do.... plenty of shops to keep SWMBO happy, and a great tram and train service to allow you to explore up the coast to some of the fabulous beaches, again might be more appealing to a 6yr old boy than trudging around Calais town centre!......

clivew05

Visit site
Yes Boulogne does sound rather nice - I looked it up in the IMRAY pilots book, has a over head piccy and all about it - Nathan(the 6yr old) would love that he loves the little sealife centre where we are. Also anything tactile is a bonus - he loves touching things sometimes to my complete horror - especially when they are brittle and expensive ... but how else can he find out about things .... touch and smell are all that he has ....

I will investigate this option more me thinks and try to decide on what time of year would be best to try to make it across - SWMBO not a great fan of large waves ....

bendyone

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Calais IMHO isn't that nice a place, the walk into town isn't great from the marina, involves a busy road, and again, may not be the easiest for you...

[/ QUOTE ]

There is only one minor road to cross between the marina and town centre. takes 3/4 minutes walking time. The other way is to the beach 10 minutes walk crossing one road which is a little busy at times, but then a long sandy beach with plenty of ferries to watch /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bendyone

Visit site
calais.jpg

Pleanty of waiting bouys outside the lock in Calais, and a pontoon if you want to go ashore. You have a 5 hour slot around HW to get in to the marina. Even in the summer there are empty berths that I am sure you could use if you explain why to the HM.