Fox's Restaurant

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
Found myself in Ipswich today and popped in to the chandlery for a few bits.

Apparently the restaurant has closed down. Permanently ?

Snowgoose-1

Visit site
I'm all for a bit of fun , but when you are trying to inform people of something that may be useful it's poor show and rather disrespectful .

galeus

Visit site
Fingers crossed for somebody to make something of it.
The restaurant part had gone upmarket from what was there previously and getting a little bit pricy, maybe all to do with covid.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
can't be easy in the restaurant trade at the moment, lots of price increases mostly out of the proprietors control and a discerning client base which is often not flush with cash.
I'm sure it isn't easy, especially with marina based restaurants whos trade drops off in the Winter, Woolverstone being a perfect example. Problem is, putting prices up doesn't usually help balance the books, it tends to drive customers away.

PeterWright

Visit site
This pattern is repeating itself at a lot of marinas and yacht clubs for just the reasons Paul gives. On top of rising food prices, rising energy prices and disappearing staff, these sites have to deal with customer numbers dropping to 5 - 10 percent of theif summer numbers over the winter months. Of course, most of the employed staff are on minimum wage and the tenant / contractor struggles to pay himself as much as the minimum wage, but that's a self employed lersons profit not a wage, so not protected by any statutory minimum.

If we carry on like this, the quality and number of restaurants in the UK will head back to the 1960s.

Peter.

WoodyP

Visit site
That sort of franchise is never going to work. Not enough people who will use it at the price they need to charge to make it work. I have been involved in years gone by with various sites that are busy at weekends but not all week and the need to be there for one customer in the week is never going to pay the rent.