Forum Burgee, thanks PRV

kunyang

Visit site
I've just received my Burgee, looks great, Thanks Pete.

Only trouble now, is boat is out of water, hoping to be sold for a bargain price (I may mention this a few times over the following months), and sods law (I live in hope) is she'll be sold and it may be some time before I hoist. On the other hand, in two months time, if Deacons haven't sold her, I'll fly the burgee on the way back to the club.

Thanks again.

Dave

laika

Visit site
Only trouble now, is boat is out of water, hoping to be sold for a bargain price (I may mention this a few times over the following months), and sods law (I live in hope) is she'll be sold and it may be some time before I hoist. On the other hand, in two months time, if Deacons haven't sold her, I'll fly the burgee on the way back to the club.

Take a look around: everyone who is anyone out of the water in Deacons is flying the forum burgee. Even mast-down.

(cheers pete)

EDIT: Hmm...just realised that the appropriate place to hang the forum burgee when lacking a mast is obviously off the wifi antenna. let me just sort that out...

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
Picture anybody?

th_9D68855C-5CA2-4F00-8082-B4C729D62405-1091-000001E03502EA2A_zps10e20a6c.jpg

http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/y...05-1091-000001E03502EA2A_zps10e20a6c.jpg.html

Pete

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Plan? Forum? Don't often here those two words together.
But the new arrangement is that you can order your own burgee direct from Esign Flag Company if you want one and fly it or not as the mood takes you.

prv

Visit site
Can someone explain the background to this?

About ten years ago (before my time, but I've searched out some of the old threads), a bunch of people on the motor boat forum thought it would be nice to have a "club" burgee for people to be able to recognise each other (and meet up for a drink) when out and about. Haydn (user "hlb") had a mate who did upholstery type sewing, and he agreed to knock up some flags. The design was chucked together by [errm, can't remember now] without too much debate, but nobody objected and in lieu of any other entries it got sent to the flag man and the first batch made. The stated reason for the design is the martini glass representing the "meeting up for a drink" idea (I guess it's the kind of thing they drink on their gin palaces over in the mobo forum :p ) and the mouse being a **** pun on the computer mouse because the "club" exists only inside our computers (remember, it was 2002, the days for many people of desktop towers, beige CRT monitors, and wired mice). The stinkpot people kindly offered their flag to us rag-merchants, and it's now considered to apply equally to the whole of the YBW forum world.

For the subsequent decade, Haydn would occasionally commission a batch of flags, then sell them on in a slightly arcane fashion involving self-addressed envelopes and paper cheques. I wouldn't like to speculate on how many have been sold, but it must at least a couple of hundred. We've seen photos of the Tipsy Mouse proudly flying all over the world, and I believe it's been flown for at least one circumnavigation. No matter the origins or the arguably somewhat eccentric design, it is now very firmly our flag, for everyone who participates in these forums.

For the past couple of years, Haydn has wanted to pass on the work of getting made and sending out the burgees - and having done a batch I can now well see why! So a couple of months ago I was researching alternative suppliers, and somehow stumbled from there into arranging a new batch and taking over. Fortunately, that should be the first and last batch for which I have to track payments and addresses, print envelopes and postage, and pack and send by hand - because Ensign Flags will now take individual orders without any involvement from me.

If you want one, see the details upthread to order. If not, don't :)

There's certainly no Master Plan to tag and label everybody - but it is quite nice to see plenty of Tipsy Mice in the rigging at forum get-togethers such as Cherbourg and Poole (and presumably the equivalent up on the Clyde).

Pete

laika

Visit site
The stated reason for the design is the martini glass representing the "meeting up for a drink" idea (I guess it's the kind of thing they drink on their gin palaces over in the mobo forum :p )

I may have a westerly fridge (to be addressed this winter) but I can keep ice in an esky for a few days. Just because we're limited on electricity doesn't mean we have to abandon all the comforts of civilisation.

prv

Visit site
I may have a westerly fridge (to be addressed this winter) but I can keep ice in an esky for a few days. Just because we're limited on electricity doesn't mean we have to abandon all the comforts of civilisation.

I have an excellent fridge, and I do like a G&T with ice and a slice of an evening. Just saying I've never seen a martini glass with a cocktail olive on any sailing boat that didn't have paid crew :)

Pete

laika

Visit site
I have an excellent fridge, and I do like a G&T with ice and a slice of an evening. Just saying I've never seen a martini glass with a cocktail olive on any sailing boat that didn't have paid crew :)

Clearly sir, you have never been aboard my boat. The gin I keep for martinis is not the gin I keep for G+T. The martini olives are not the greek salad olives.

Just because we're raggies doesn't mean we need to slum it