forsail pole

Niander

Visit site
forsail pole
hi i want to fly th sails "wing&wing" with the wind behind
wondering what procedure you guys use to put it up?

<hr width=100% size=1>

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
There are a few ways do do this but the way I prefer to do it if I get the choice is:

Main out with a preventer rigged round a foredeck cleat (or a turning block or snatch block somewhere for'd) and then lead the preventer back to the cockpit.

Set up the pole with a foreguy, topping lift and after guy with the genoa rigged with a spare sheet through the end of the pole (or a snatch block rigged on the end of the pole), then gybe the genoa over onto the pole from the safety of the cockpit.

Reasons:

1. The system is inherently fail safe. ie you are never ever going to be in a position of dancing round the foredeck with a geno sheet through the end of a long pole with too much wind in the sail.

2. If you need to sail up wind for an emergency m.o.b. you still have both your sheets available and you can just ignore the pole. (The sail won't set very well perhaps, but you can still sail on both tacks.

3. Further to 2. you can ease the preventer from the cockpit - even leave it on the end of the boom in an emergency for sailing upwind on either tack.

If the wind is light and you are confident, you can get away with less hassle by sticking the genoa sheet through the end of the pole - but the system above works for me...

<hr width=100% size=1>

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Roller reefing makes no difference to the setup except that you need to be able to reach the clew of the genoa to get the extra sheet on. The roller genoa actually makes handling easier if anything. If the wind gets too much you can roll away as usual.

Watch out for chafe on the extra sheet where it goes through the pole end. (This is why I usually use a snatch block at this point.

<hr width=100% size=1>

William_H

Visit site
Can you handle more advice? On a 22ft you need jib sheets with spare length. If you start with the main and jib on the same side put the lazy windward jib sheet into the pole end then with the topper attached to the pole push the pole out unti you can attach it to the snotter (spin pole attachment). Then from the cockpit you ease the working lee jib sheet and pull the jib across on the windward sheet unti it sets nicely. I find my spin pole is a little too long especially for smaller jibs but even so it makes the jib more stable and it works harder. (PS forget it and put up a big spinnacher get it up and planing) regards (the mad captain ) will

<hr width=100% size=1>