For those new to Harold Hayles ....

G

yarmouth_inner.jpg

Enter Yarmouth Hbr and transit between first run of pontoons and row of pile moored yachts .... follow this pontoon line round until you see bridge ahead of you .... there will be pontoons either side of you as you proceed .... last pontoons on right are HH .... opposite the Dinghy stage ....

BBQ area is to the north on the sand spit inside breakwater .... see chartlet above !!

<u>To Talbot</u> ..... Cat 9m = £25.50 incl electric / water ... but they need to know beam .....

Talbot

Visit site
Beam = 13' 9" or 4.19m

£25 = 150% for a boat only just wider than a normal mobo of that length and considerably narrower than some 45 ft boats that would pay the same amount - robbin bar stewards. I dont mind paying a rate that is pro rata the same as anyone else, just pisses me orf when they take the mick like this - probably why I dont normally use UK marinas.

rickp

Visit site
I found that some of the places I visted in Holland recently (Willemstad springs to mind as one) charged for the box you occupied (so LOA * breadth) which seems pretty fair for all.

Rick

bedouin

Visit site
I think you're getting a fair deal - you're 13'6 compared to my 9'6 and we're roughly the same length. You are 50% wider and pay 50% - that sounds fair!

Now what is unfair is that most marinas charge by the linear foot, when the should charge by the product of length and beam /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Talbot

Visit site
Will accept hulls - /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif.

Its all a question of design - when my class were designed they were at the cutting edge of technology and used a V shaped hull create the resistance to leeway. Later design breakthroughs discovered that a U shaped hull was a better load carrier and if you added a long low aspect ratio keel underneath you got better resistance to leeway and much better directional stability..

The one advantage of the V shape is that a very strong gust lifting a hull not only reduces the resistance to leeway from the hull that is out of the water, but also considerably reduces the resistance to leeway from the hull that is in the water. If you are sideways on to a very large wave, you can feel the boat slide sideways.

Also too much sail = too much leeway

G

Average punter ???

Boats yes ... punts ??

Of course it is ....