Foot and mouth good for Boating?

G

Re: Farmers:Do we need them? Discuss

You're right about the slaughtering. I dont understand the emotion when those very same animals would have turned up on our dinner plates a few weeks later

And I also dont understand the favourable, not to say, hysterical media coverage. Is it pro farming or anti labour? Why is farming such a 'special case'?

You're right again about the disease itself. It would appear not to be harmful to humans but it has to be eradicated. Why?

As it happens we have'nt cut down our meat consumption much and we do buy British from local butchers whenever possible. Every veggie I ever meet looks so godawful unhealthy!

G

Gosh you're asking for it aren't you! I'm sure you'll get all that you're expecting.

Nevertheless, I can follow and appreciate the logo of your thoughts. I've only once come across a bankrupt farmer and that was 30 years ago. I've never heard farmers complaining when they've banked their 'set aside' cheques or other UK or EU receipts from public funds. We keep significant reserves in our business - I wonder if farmers have kept something in reserve from the good years? I seem to remember a biblical parallel here.

Having said that I'm not sure what individual farmers could have done. It's a bit like your children catching childhood diseases - once one child at school's got it, it goes round them all. I'm no expect on foot and mouth but I had thought it not fatal - just highly contagious. I seem to understand from somewhere that it only lasts a few weeks. If nothing were killed and every animal in the country got it, would not all animals then have built up resistance and be immune in the future? Surely it can't be that simple?

What farmers should have done to safeguard themselves individually or collectively, I've little doubt that there's genuine, real and very great problems being experienced by farmers. More importantly, the media has taken up their cause and these days that's more important than what the Government or Parliament thinks.

One final thought. Presumably these animals are being farmed for consumption - i.e they're being raised for slaughter. Why the tears when they're slaughtered and burnt in a field rather than slaughtered and burnt in the kitchen?

And a final, final comment. Having reduced our own personal meat consumption to almost nil, we've been surprised how tasty vegetarian meals are!

(What's all this got to do with boating?!)

G

The media would enjoy (they'd deny that word but it's quite true) the F & M story quite irrespective of the party political slant which I think merely adds a little bit to it. There's quite enough in the story itself to keep it going on a daily basis for many months yet. And the farmers add an emotional side far better than trying to portray very professionally hardened politicians squirming under this spotlight. The story is neither pro-farming nor anti-labour. It's pro newspaper profits.

Local butchers. You're not from Queniborough are you!

Veggis. We're busy business people and buy prepared, stick it in the oven meals. As I said before, they taste surprisingly good. Mind I don't hold with buying the ugly stuff that hasn't had pesticides on it. I'd rather trust the scientists' chemicals to get rid of the natural pests than the diseases that the pests bring. Time will doubtless tell which approach is best but I reckon people are a lot healthier for eating pest free vegetables.

G

You're going to get me started on the organic farming myth but, as you say, it's a boating forum!