Folding an Avon

Kochi

Visit site
Having just bought a secondhand Avon Redcrest I wonder if anyone has advice on the best method of folding/rolling it for storage on our boat. We do not have the original bag so have no clue as to the final dimensions we should be trying to achieve.

Hermit

Visit site
The best way to get it as small as possible is to invest in a pump that also deflates so you can suck all the air out. To fold it, lay it right way up and fold about a foot on each side inwards then roll from stern to bow using the painter to tie round and keep it together. Takes patience and a lot easier on a pontoon or ashore than across the coachroof!

Kochi

Visit site
Thank-you Hermit, we do have a pump which deflates but I see from what you are saying that I am folding it too far in to start with and that is why I'm not getting it as small as the previous owner did. Thanks again.

VicS

Visit site
According to an oldish brochure the Redcrest without its wooden floor should fold and roll up to 40" long by 18" diameter. 'sepct you'll be lucky to achieve that though!

IIRC we use to roll a Redstart by partly folding in the sides (as Hermit suggests) so that it matched the length of the bag. I think we folded the bow and stern in a bit before rolling. ... It was a tight fit in its bag!
Long long time since I last did it 'cos the skipper got himself a space for it in the SC shed so it stayed inflated and we always carried it inflated too.

I don't think we ever used the pump to deflate it but we used to roll it with the old fashioned black valves open, then unroll it again and close the valves before re-

Bav32

Visit site
Avon dinghy

As an alternative, try the following which I have dove for years.
Lay the dinghy in the upright position and lock open all the valves.
Now fold the dinghy into thirds, first by folding in the bow section followed by the stern.
No need to suck out.
After it has deflated naturaly, roll up tightly starting at the hull side, taking care to tuck the moulded rowlock in tight.
If you keep the painter out, you can tie this round the out of the rolled up dinghy. This stops it expanding inside the bag.
If you have the bag, roll it inside out and peel on to the wet dinghy. Obviously easier if the dinghy ( and bag) is dry

Kochi

Visit site
Avon dinghy

VicS, it is really helpful to know that it should be 40'' wide even I don't achieve 18'' diameter.
Bav32, I wouldn't have thought of doing that so I'll have a go. Thank-you all very much for your advice.

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
As an alternative, try the following which I have dove for years.
Lay the dinghy in the upright position and lock open all the valves.
Now fold the dinghy into thirds, first by folding in the bow section followed by the stern.
No need to suck out.
After it has deflated naturaly, roll up tightly starting at the hull side, taking care to tuck the moulded rowlock in tight.
If you keep the painter out, you can tie this round the out of the rolled up dinghy. This stops it expanding inside the bag.
If you have the bag, roll it inside out and peel on to the wet dinghy. Obviously easier if the dinghy ( and bag) is dry
Bav32 has it! I have always folded my Redcrest that way and I have had it since 1973. The instruction book is long gone but I'm sure that's how it told me to do it. Remember to roll it up from the port side though so any residual air is forced out as you roll and make sure the seat is fully deflated before you start. Dilemma though. Do you leave the deflating prongs in (with an old one) and risk deforming the valves and get leaks on reinflation or do you risk getting a small amount of air in if you extract the prongs just before the final roll?

Spyro

Visit site
Bav32 has it! I have always folded my Redcrest that way and I have had it since 1973. The instruction book is long gone but I'm sure that's how it told me to do it. Remember to roll it up from the port side though so any residual air is forced out as you roll and make sure the seat is fully deflated before you start. Dilemma though. Do you leave the deflating prongs in (with an old one) and risk deforming the valves and get leaks on reinflation or do you risk getting a small amount of air in if you extract the prongs just before the final roll?

That's how I do it but I've found sucking the air out does make a big difference I also remove the seat and do it separately.

Daydream believer

Visit site
My redcrestis now 48 years old & has lasted so long because I do not fold it but keep it in the garage inflated. I know that you cannot do this ( well not in my garage at least) but when folding try to reduce the number of sharp folds. ie roll as much as possible.

johnalison

Visit site
I prefer the old fashioned way (redstart or redcrest). I lay the dinghy on a flat surface, though it can be done on the foredeck. I open the valves, including the thwart. When it has deflated enough, I pull the chambers in from the sides so that they touch down the centre line. I then continue to deflate the dinghy, finishing with the pump in extractor mode. It is then simple to roll the dinghy from the stern, using the painter to tie the bundle. As it deflates, it helps to tidy the creases at bow and stern. It also helps to dry the dinghy thoroughly, which I assist by draining the water off with the dinghy tilted up and sponged off.

With this method, I could always get a Redcrest into its original canvas bag easily and single-handed, and with little effort. It also helps if you keep your fingernails short.

jbweston

Visit site
I have a feeling that this is one of those jobs that is only difficult when someone points out that it is difficult.

Routinely I deflate my Avon by just letting the air out and roll it up to fit in the bag. I don't really remember how I fold and roll it - I'm not even sure that i do it the same way every time.

I'm not claiming any special powers and no-one ever told me how to do it. It just rolls up.

But now I've leaned that it's difficult, I'm sure next time I'll have problems . . .