Fly Dinghy

Mark-1

Visit site
Hello
I wonder if anyone can help me
My dad Peter Barnes lived in Walthamstow. He knew Ken Ford, he was never one for sailing, but helped him build the boathouse.
This is all knew to me but my dad 85 , and started talking about him. He wondered what happen to him and wanted to see a picture of him. I've search but can't find a photo of him, as someone so important I thought there be one. Can anyone tell me about the boat house of it still there please.
Belinda

I can't help, but thanks for reviving this thread. Nice to be reminded of the boat.

phil w

Visit site
Hi Brian,
I joined LASC in 1969 and my allocated fly was no 71 have photo somewhere. Helped build new clubhouse.
Went on to sail moth class. Merlin and hornet. Remember lots of names. 'Flo' was Laurence Clark.
If anyone interested can say more.
Regards,
Phil

phil w

Visit site
Re: Fly dinghy

I too was a member of that sailing club in the 70's when I lived nearby in Woodford green. I was allocated a Fly called African Queen. Plywood with roll top sides. The club house was just amazing to climb up into. I learnt to sail there at about 10 and now at 52 I still sail out of Titchmarsh Marina on my Bene 373. Have had a few boats and always will. What happened to the big yacht that we all helped to build in the boat hose. Blue Peter covered its removal after lifting off the boat house roof. We collected old newspapers to raise money for its build. I think that Ken Ford ran the club and I see that he died a few years ago. I remember capsizing my fly many times, mostly on purpose for a bit of fun. The roll top sides stopped any water getting in. Great memories.
Hi XTE,
I was at LASC in 70's
Fly 71
Phil