Flotilla sailing in the Caribbean

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
The only flotilla company in the Caribbean is Sunsail in the BVI's. The area has a huge number of charter boats, the few anchorages are packed, the buoys (in most bays) are USD 25 per night and the food/drink is expensive. On the other hand it is very pretty with good diving and snorkelling. Plus there is the Puusser's painkiller at different srtrengths :)

TQA

sailingonelephantschild.blogspot.com
If you lack the confidence to bareboat alone then the BVI is an ideal cruising microcosm with short sails and many protected anchorages with moorings to avoid that nasty anchoring worry.

Also you can chill out at Saba Rock, earn free drinks by making a naked exit from the Willy T and Sunday at Foxies is just sublime.

TSB240

Visit site
BVI flottilla cruise area is as good as Turkey.
There are quiet spots to be found. Food is expensive but we found that they were catering for the American Lard Asses. Just order for one and ask for an extra plate and fork.
Tip well if planning to return if not do a runner!

Prices of moorings and food is expensive in comparison to Turkey.

Snorkelling is nearly as good as Red Sea. Way better than Turkey. Just watch out for the lurking and very territorial barracuda.:eek:

Anchoring out of marinas can save money and is usually favoured by most in the group as much cooler. Security of boat and anchor usually guaranteed by Lead Boat.

Our then 18 year old daughter had the best holiday of her life. Going out when we went to bed and coming in when we were getting up! Sleeping in transit from each overnight stop but usually awake to help on Arrival at next. Hardly new she was on board.

It also helped that we had two free upgrades and ended up with a jenny 42.:) because they like to take the little ones out before the hurricane season.:eek: We went late August!

IMHO the trip to Anegada was one of the highlights amongst many. It is a very compact cruising area.

Rum cocktails can be delightful. I was ok with white rum but any dark stuff and I had a bad head.

During our trip I stopped snoring for the only two weeks of our married life. SWMBO couldnt get used to It and kept waking me up to see if I was still alive:rolleyes:

minkysailing

Visit site
The only flotilla company in the Caribbean is Sunsail in the BVI's. The area has a huge number of charter boats, the few anchorages are packed, the buoys (in most bays) are USD 25 per night and the food/drink is expensive. On the other hand it is very pretty with good diving and snorkelling. Plus there is the Puusser's painkiller at different srtrengths :)

I went on a flotilla holiday with The Moorings in the BVI's.... excellent 2 weeks with the family, yes expensive at some locations if you can't be bothered to cook onboard and yes if you are lazy enought not to anchor the mooring buoys are expensive. I would highly recommend the BVI's as an alternative to the Med.

meandraft

Visit site
Went to the BVI's this January with Sunsail on a bareboat charter. We had a fantastic time. The sailing is pretty easy and picking up a mooring each afternoon was never a problem. They're all USD25 except Bitter End (USD30) but it's worth it as the water is so deep. Security doesn't seem to be issue. We couldn't lock our boat and were actually told to leave the engine running while we were ashore to charge the batteries. I'd go back tomorrow if I could afford it.

homa

Visit site
I would recommend BVI

Caribbean is better than Turkey for one reason only. The winds are virtually guaranteed and the water the temperature of bath water.

Only place we have sailed when SWMBO enjoyed sitting on the weather rail with wind and spray over the deck.

fantastic sailing guaranteed.

Simple line of sight navigation and short distances. You can get from one end of the BVI to the other in a half days sail.

Will definitely go back one day