Flood report

byron

RIP
Visit site
Here on the Cleve-Wallingford stretch it is just about bursting the banks in places indeed in certain places the flood plain is already filling up.
How is it where you are?
oceaneagle.jpg

sarabande

Visit site
Penton Hook Marina. Pontoons are rising slowly but not as high as they have been known to go. The internal water flow patterns have become more marked though.

bradtarga34

Visit site
Hell of a stream running under Walton bridge but looks as though levels have stabilised since yesterday. Levels highest I have seen in quite some time and looks as though too high for me to fit under the bridge at Walton Marina to get the boat out. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Brayman

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The relief channel is at a normal level so that is clearly not working.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anybody actually know how it works? Or rather how it is "supposed" to work?
Ian

Gavi

Visit site
Staines high and fast this morning, but about 4 inches lower than about 9pm last night.

Chris_d

Visit site
EA Flood watch

Have you had a look at the EA flood warning site?
Flipping useless, all it says is we're on "Flood watch" or "Flood warning", whats the point of that, I can see that myself.
What would be really usefull is if they put the level and time on the reaches concerned, so "9am +2ft", "1800 +3ft" that would be useful or at least "level rising", "level constant" or something. Imagine if you got a weather forecast that said "Wind" umm.. useful.
What does "Flood watch" mean? lockkeepers are watching the flood? they ain't got much else to do this time of year /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif rant over.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Re: EA Flood watch

You are so right Chris, their site is useless. It draws a line along the river taking no account of terrain and calls it "liable to flooding" this is done with something like a thick red felt pen. The fact that portions falling under the pen mark can be hundreds of feet above the river makes no never mind.

BrendanS

Visit site
Between Henley and Sonning it's very similar to you. Close to bursting bank in places, or already has done so where the banks lower. Flood plain in some places show quite widespread flooding. Neither Henley nor Sonning themselves are affected.

Loddon near Sonning actually although running fast, looks like it could be slightly down on yesterday

TrueBlue

Visit site
Whenever I ring up my friendly Marina Man he says "the River's on Red, you can't get out to your boat" - he's been saying that since late November, so this is a very unusual season (well I'm only a newbie of six year's standing).

Whatever we says about the EA - and I'm not averse to giving them stick from time to time, but it's not your average river, people flush their unwanted water into it, Water Boards take out what they want AND expect the levels to be kept up ready for them. Folks complain when they get flooded and presumably the PLA make a fuss if too much water is sent down.

The results are frequently im-perfic', but I'm feeling that the local staff give it a "jolly good" (insert your own words as appropriate) go until it's too late. (You like wanting to have a P and can't find a place so to do).

Three cheers for Mrs McK, and hope her boat's alright.

Can't believe I' saying that....

apollo

Visit site
They press a button, then it floods Wraysbury, thats why they havent pressed the button!

The first weir is 100yards up the road from my boat, and not much at all going over most of time.

Every once in a while when it threatens to go over the island here in Maidenhead, it mysteriously drops again.

Seems that they are using just enough to keep it at bay.