Floating dock or antifoul?

citygent111

Visit site
Hi all,

Our Fletcher 19gts sportscruiser will be going in a marina for the first time next spring.

Went down to the marina yesterday and was surprised at the number of boats on the floating "tetradock" type systems.

Any current uses mind sharing their experiences of these? I'm weighing up whether it is worth paying £2k-£3k for one of these, or antifouling evey year and the (small) effect that can have on boat value.

Am I right in thinking that a boat stored on a floating dock wouldn't necessarily need to be lifted out onto dry land over winter? Are they more secure than just leaving it tied up on the slip?

EDIT: our boat is 5.85m x 2.25m - what size dock would I need to get? Thanks

Questions questions!!!

Thanks all 👍🏻

Paul1962

Visit site
Good Morning - I have a Zodiac 5m metre RiB on a Tetradock here at Portland - one word - excellent.

For me, it was the grief of anti-fouling every year and the slow lessening of performance over the season. I think an un-antifouled boat
is worth more and of course, would not be subject to any osmosis. You pays your money and takes your choice

Mine comes out at the end of the season but it would be really easy (and safe) to leave both in the water over the winter.

No affiliation but John at Tetradock is very knowledgeable and professional - highly recommended - you do need his advice as your boat is heavier than mine

Hope this helps

Attachments

• Sweet Chariot on Dock lr.jpg
    Sweet Chariot on Dock lr.jpg
    982.6 KB · Views: 19

citygent111

Visit site
If you've got a sterndrive rather than an outboard then I'd say this is an excellent investment
Yes, sterndrive - seriously considering it now, I have until April-ish to sort it as the boat will be on its trailer until then.
I guess my only other concern is the size of the dock needed versus the size of the slip in the marina!

citygent111

Visit site
Good Morning - I have a Zodiac 5m metre RiB on a Tetradock here at Portland - one word - excellent.

For me, it was the grief of anti-fouling every year and the slow lessening of performance over the season. I think an un-antifouled boat
is worth more and of course, would not be subject to any osmosis. You pays your money and takes your choice

Mine comes out at the end of the season but it would be really easy (and safe) to leave both in the water over the winter.

No affiliation but John at Tetradock is very knowledgeable and professional - highly recommended - you do need his advice as your boat is heavier than mine

Hope this helps
Thanks Paul, that's definitely given me for for thought! Yes the weight is possibly an issue, I worry that the size of the dock needed to support the boat may exceed the size of our slip in the marina! Will definitely get in touch with John though, thanks for the tip!

Seastoke

Visit site
Thanks Paul, that's definitely given me for for thought! Yes the weight is possibly an issue, I worry that the size of the dock needed to support the boat may exceed the size of our slip in the marina! Will definitely get in touch with John though, thanks for the tip!
CONWY MARINA does not have a slip

jfm

Visit site
Just to add, I’ve been using a floating dock since summer for an 8m rib. Loving it- works perfectly.

I looked at Aqua-Dock, Versadock and tetra dock. I bought and would recommend Aqua-Dock. I think their little rollers help when launching the boat dry, and their team did a great job delivering and installing it.

oldgit

Visit site
Floating docks frequently to be found at the end of gardens on the freshwater of the upper Thames, presumably prevents the hull gel coat from becoming stained due to being in the water.
Larger boats boats on the non tidal Thames are anti-fouled but levels of fouling are much much lower than on salt water.

Hurricane

Visit site
Ive been using one of the EZ-Dock rigid style docks for the last 6+ years.
I much prefer the rigid ones over the modular ones.
Far less wobbly to walk on.
This is the one I have
EZ Port 2i | Jet Ski Dock | EZ Dock

DSC07268.resized.JPG

However, you don't get away with it completely when you use a dock.
If I leave my tender on my dock for a month or so, a scum builds up on the bottom.
Easily removed if you can get at the bottom of the boat - I lift mine on a crane to clean it.
Other than that, a dock is a great addition.

Grith

Visit site
I am in the process of ordering a new heavier wall thickness and reinforced floating dock manufactured here in Australia which the company owner assures me is rated to 4 ton carrying capacity.
He has had these manufactured here to a heavy spec and weight carrying capacity specifically to allow top loading much larger boats.
My 8.5 metre power sailer weighs around 3 ton fully loaded for cruising and with passengers onboard.
The floating pontoon will be attached to the side of my fixed jetty beside my boat ramp.
We have just purchased this property which is around the corner from our existing 2 storey canal front home.
This location is much more exposed to wind and small waves than our current home where we already have the lighter style of modular jetty installed which is only rated to carry 2 ton so we moor our yacht alongside and have our light weight sailing trimaran on top.
IMG_6484.jpeg
Existing home pontoon jetty.
IMG_2378.jpeg
Backyard of our new more modest single storey cheaper home but with 50metres waterfrontage instead of 18m and its own boat ramp.
Whilst the views are uninterrupted and the boat ramp a huge bonus the end of peninsula position is much less sheltered and my yacht would likely be constantly pounded into the jetty if left in the water here in high winds.
Pulling it out onto the trailer or a jinker constantly is both cumbersome and view obstructing versus just driving onto and off the proposed pontoon.