Fleet Increased By One

Lakesailor

Visit site
Further to my post about rejoining the Raggy Brigade I've just been to look at the clinker dinghy I mentioned. Lovely little boat. I've bought it.
Just a couple of cracked ribs and some slight woodworm in the transom (a question for classic forum there) and varnish required on the bottom where the previous owner has stripped off antifoul (2 years ago and left it since then)
It's 13' 6" and about 40 years old with a bermudan rig, alloy centreboard and rudder.
I'm going to varnish the bottom and go sailing. The rest can wait until winter.

clinker01.jpg

clinker03.jpg

clinker04.jpg

clinker05.jpg

clinker06.jpg

clinker07.jpg

flaming

Visit site
just looking at those pictures brings images of Swallows and Amazons swimming into my mind!

Beautiful boat!

Lakesailor

Visit site
Re: Fleet Increased

No. He's owned it for over 30 years and sailed it in Morecambe Bay and at Fellfoot on Windermere. At the other side of the transom it says "Swallow" so I guess they just called it that, 14 being it's length (nearly)

sarabande

Visit site
Gonna call her "Gribble " ?

You lucky fellow; all that lovely scraping, sanding and varnishing and rubbing down and varnishing ...

Enjoy rejoining the White Knights, and we look forward - as always - to the pix.

Vara

Visit site
What a cracking boat, by the time you've given it an LS makeover it will be an absolute stunner!

Are you planning on putting any bouyancy in her?

Talbot

Visit site
There is a possibility that this is a class called RNSA 14 - designed for the RN as their recreational boat. Memory of it is a bit dim as I havent seen one for abt 30 years, but it certainly is similar.

Happy to be proven wrong, but certainly worth a comparison.

Lakesailor

Visit site
I think it's not. Mine is bermudan and doesn't have side thwarts or bilge stringers. The thwart arragemnt forward is different as well. Similar to look at thought.
I think mine was built in Ipswitch.

RNSA 14

D6021.jpg

Lakesailor

Visit site
It has a lot of promise. My first intention was to move the mast forward and convert to balanced lugsail. But I think I may stick with the rig as it is until I see how it goes. It will live on a trolley. I'm not putting it on a mooring.
I'm going to stick it on the water as soon as I've done the bottom varnish. The rest can wait till winter.

I am not putting any buoyancy in. There's no ballast and the centreboard and rudder are alloy so I don't think it will sink. I'm sticking trad here. If I feel the need I may put some dark-coloured plastic containers under the forward and aft thwarts.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Nah. I am thinking I'll go with Searush's suggestion of "Serendipity". I came across her completely by accident after blagging a lift in a fisherman's char boat. He asked me what I was going to buy after selling the MOBO and I said I fancied a clinker dinghy. He turned out to have one. This is it.

Robin

Visit site
Very pretty!

Is she a proper clinker job or a glued ply version a la Merlin Rocket? If it is a proper job and she has been stripped underneath and allowed to dry out, you might get wet feet until she takes up. In that case you might like to re-think installing some buoyancy bags! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

tillergirl

Visit site
Umm very nice, I'm slightly jealous I think. The woodworm is interesting. I think I would be spraying on some woodworm killer asap over the whole boat. I replaced the top and middle planks on TG's transom. Is not as desperate as you might think but its kind of sobering when the old stuff is out looking along the length of your pride and joy - that is if its 32ft.

So you're in the market for some buoyancy bags!

We expect to see a varnish finish to exceed the quality of the shine on that gliberfast motor boat you have just sold please.

That fisherman hasn't got another has he?

Talbot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's not. Mine is bermudan and doesn't have side thwarts or bilge stringers. The thwart arragemnt forward is different as well. Similar to look at thought.
I think mine was built in Ipswitch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Said it was a long time ago!

Blueboatman

Visit site
Lovely jubbly
(Actually its a lot nicer than lovely jubbly)
Always great when a boat goes to a deserving home

Will you be acquiring a set of old tan canvas trews and a straw hat ?

Oen

Visit site
Is this penance to cause all of those you've upset to come round and say 'Well done, Lakey, what a lovely boat'?

If so, it's working!

What a lovely boat!