Flatholm or Steepholm

Csail

N/A
Visit site
If anyone is interested i am trying to arrange a sail to the islands for a picnic / explore (not allowed bbq) sometime soon. Let me know.Anchorage is not good so it will have to be flat

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
If it has to be flat then don't go to Steepholm /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The anchorage at Steepholm does odd things as the tide floods, with eddies and small standing waves, as the currents down each side of the island take turns coming round the end and over the spit. I only stopped to see what it was like, but if I was going to leave the boat I would lay out anchors fore and aft next time.

Allan

Visit site
I was speaking to a guy from SARA on Saturday and he says he loves to take a rib to flatholm and watch the sun go down from the island.
I would be up for a trip over but I don't normally carry a tender. Maybe we could borrow your new one? /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Right, i have had approval ( see below ) but what are prefered dates to go?
Dear Andy

We would welcome your group onto the island and can provide you with a short tour of the island to allow your group to experience the island at its best.
There are a few conditions associated with permission to land on the island - the Nature reserve byelaws are shown on the attached, personal safety and responsibility for the group falls with yourselves and there is a landing fee of £3 per person payable to the Warden or by cheque in advance to the Project Office. Cheques should be made payable to Flat Holm Project and sent to Flat Holm, c/o Channel View Leisure Centre, Jim Driscoll Way, Grangetown, Cardiff, CF11 7HB.

Please can you also forward me details of the dates and approx time of your planned visit so that we can ensure it does not clash with our boat visiting the island.

Many thanks and kind regards

Natalie Taylor

Flat Holm Project Officer/Swyddog Project Ynys Echni

Tel/Ffôn: 029 20 353 917

Fax/Ffacs: 029 20 387 107

www.cardiff.gov.uk/flatholm

www.caerdydd.gov.uk/ynysechni