Flare pack to match current Offshore regulations...

Martin_J

Visit site
Since I bought my last RORC flare pack the regulations for Cat 2 Monohull appear to have removed the requirement for parachute flares...

Floating smoke flares also appear to have disappeared from the requirement.

2016-17 World Sailing Offshore regulations changes
OSR 4.23 Pyrotechnic signals (Distress flares) has been amended to remove the requirement for the carriage of parachute distress flares.

This leaves just 4 red and 2 hand smoke in the requirement but our local chandlery (as do most online) still only appear to sell the original full packs..

Has anyone seen packs for sale that meet just the new requirement since our local chandlery don't appear to sell flares singularly?

penberth3

Visit site
Since I bought my last RORC flare pack the regulations for Cat 2 Monohull appear to have removed the requirement for parachute flares...

Floating smoke flares also appear to have disappeared from the requirement.

2016-17 World Sailing Offshore regulations changes
OSR 4.23 Pyrotechnic signals (Distress flares) has been amended to remove the requirement for the carriage of parachute distress flares.

This leaves just 4 red and 2 hand smoke in the requirement but our local chandlery (as do most online) still only appear to sell the original full packs..

Has anyone seen packs for sale that meet just the new requirement since our local chandlery don't appear to sell flares singularly?

Is there a problem carrying a couple of extras?

Martin_J

Visit site
Not really.. but having replaced standing rigging last month thought I'd try and get what's specified and not go over the top with the full RORC pack when the last flare pack has only just expired.

Smaller packs only have two red handheld so you'd have to buy two smaller packs..

Just thought sbdy might know when/if suppliers would change their packs to match requirements.

Ingwe

Visit site
The last two times I have bought an inshore pack, which are normally 2 of each of the ones you need and have then bought an additional 2 red flares separately, most of the big chandler's do sell individual flares if you ask.

Martin_J

Visit site
That was my thought.. But idly browsing this afternoon didn't show individual flares on either Marine Super Store or Force4 web sites. I'll probably be corrected now.. Just still think it's strange that they're still packaged by the manufacturers to match the old regulations.

bobgarrett

Visit site
Don't overlook that the removal of rocket flares from boat requirements is based on having sufficient other means of sending mayday e.g. epirb/plb and dsc etc.

Martin_J

Visit site
Indeed... And those I have on board... And probably will end up with another RORC pack... But that still doesn't explain why the current packs on sale don't match the regulations even though they still call themselves the RORC pack for example.

The removal of parachute reds I seem to remember was due to increased stability and build requirements so the question was not about what I should or shouldn't have on board but about why the packs don't currently match the racing requirements.