Flag etiquette clarification

byron

RIP
Visit site
No regrets!
Quite simply once a year many clubs enjoy a sail past or as it used to be called 'Club Fleet Review'
If one chooses to attend these events one dresses in collar, tie, reefer and hat. Your boat is clean, tidy and fenders not hanging. On passing the Commodore's vessel (or podium if bankside) one dips the ensign and is acknowledged by a return dip. One is not expected to salute although many will tip or remove their hat.
Great stuff and a bit of good old British tradition something we have always excelled at.

apollo

Visit site
And it hacks the fishermen off!

At the UTMYC in September, they remarked, "Wot is this, the bl@@dy D Day landings!" /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

No Regrets

Visit site
Thanks chaps, it all makes sense now. I had visions of psuedo military overtones, but I can see this clealry isn't the case now.

Thanks for the nod Brayman, do bear in mind I'm not exactly a seasoned resident of the Thames, as we only started boating a year ago, but I'm trying very hard to make the blog accurate, informative and a little bit interesting.
I hope Pheran doesn't mind, as I borrowed the image from the Bray club gallery (We may be members in June) but I absolutely love that particular family of Brooms and it looked so....right....

If anybody sees any mistakes, I'll happily change them as soon as they are pointed out /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

No Regrets

Visit site
Thanking you muchly /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

The Broom is lovely by the way....We were tempted to splash out on Shiran, a Haines with the same shell as yours, recently, but it was too expensive to justify for weekend use only, despite the accomodation and practicality.

Best design around IMHO...

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks chaps, it all makes sense now. I had visions of psuedo military overtones, but I can see this clealry isn't the case now.

I hope Pheran doesn't mind, as I borrowed the image from the Bray club gallery (We may be members in June) but I

[/ QUOTE ]

Technically we all come under the Royal Navy in time of war. During WW2 many Yacht Clubs were taken over by RN. i.e. Royal Temple YC at Ramsgate was renamed HMS Fervant. Yacht Clubs were also a great source of experienced seafarers for the RN.

pheran

Visit site
Just to correct a possible misunderstanding, that Broom 33, Lady Lara, is not mine but belongs to another ODCC member. Because our boat is kept permanently abroad, and I'm not too proud to bum a ride, the owner is kind enough to offer us a bed for the night at those ODCC events we are able to attend when we are back in the UK. Bless him!

No Regrets

Visit site
Thanks for that Byron, I'll flog the boat quickly if we ever go to war again then....LOL

Pheran, are you saying I can't bum a lift in the Broom then? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for that Byron, I'll flog the boat quickly if we ever go to war again then....LOL

Pheran, are you saying I can't bum a lift in the Broom then? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't Pheran that gets invited it's his keeper Ann. People know she has to bring him along because he can't be left alone in the house.

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Its not just Byron that has strong views about flag etiquette!

I stayed at Ashmount on my boat a few years ago and he 'claims' that a neighbour actually telephoned him to complain that I had failed to strike my ensign at sunset and left it up overnight /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I became schooled in flag etiquette as a MN cadet - rushing several hundred feet to the poop deck to dip to a passing warship was a cherished duty for us lowest of the lowlife in those days. Many years later I asked an RN officer friend how they felt about the courtesy...."PITA" he said..."meant we had to detail somebody to do the same on our side - and we were never quite sure if the merchant ship would bother or not. Mind you", he continued...."you were BP so we KNEW you would !"

apollo

Visit site
Yep, we have done that to a group of Minesweepers in the Medway.

Nothing funnier than watching a rating running down to drop the ensign!!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

trev

Visit site
Quite correct - in the old days it was fairly common to the 'Royal Sovereign' or 'Royal Daffodil' of GSNC moving on the Thames fully dressed on special occasions.
Surprised at a shipping company not having such facts or expertise to hand.

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Quite correct - in the old days it was fairly common to the 'Royal Sovereign' or 'Royal Daffodil' of GSNC moving on the Thames fully dressed on special occasions.
Surprised at a shipping company not having such facts or expertise to hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on nationality of shipping line, they ain't all Cunard or P&O. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif