Flag etiquette clarification

byron

RIP
Visit site
A shipping line recently asked me for clarification about the 'rule' of a vessel travelling whilst dressed overall. I thought my answer might interest Forumites.

It is incorrect for a vessel to be travelling dressed overall, however there is an exception. That is if said vessel is moving from berth to berth or moving "in port"

Ergo if you are on the Thames you are both "in port" and moving from berth to berth so your vessel can be dressed.

I was specifically asked about ferries running from Southampton to Cowes., my view is that they are for all their journey under control of Southampton therefore "in Port". The moment they arrive in Cowes they are also "in port" so it is quite in order for said vessels to be dressed overall at all times.

Brayman

Visit site
We have often had the query at the Sail Past at the Thames Valley Rally and I had the same understanding as you. I believe one of our past Chairman checked it out with the Admiralty some years ago.
So sure enough, at the Sunday afternoon sailpast we expect craft who are already dressed overall to leave their flags up when sailing by and saluting the Chairman and his guest.

byron

RIP
Visit site
I can't recall that query ever being raised with the Admiralty however I don't see all that are submitted because many can be answered by them and not referred.
It is quite a sight to see dozens and dozens of craft on that sail past all looking pristine and not a fender in view /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

oldgit

Visit site
"It is quite a sight to see dozens and dozens of craft on that sail past all looking pristine and not a fender in view"

You mean something like this bloke. Perhaps?

boat1.jpg

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
[ QUOTE ]
and they're not even the same colour /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Rowlocks.....very patriotic...Red, White and Blue !

God knows how old that pic is .... the red ones were dispensed with some considerable time ago......

Having said that, quite a magnificent sight, dont you think? Scared the living wotsits out of Gavi when I came up behind him one afternoon ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
Calling NO FAIR on Tony.
For the big sail past people make every effort to see their boats and their clothes look their best. If you have never stood on the bank and seen something like 50 boats gide past all looking their best without a fender in sight then you have missed a really nice parade.

apollo

Visit site
Well you need flags on a steel boat, anything to make the blimmin things go a bit faster!!

Like the orange balls by the way!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Gavi

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Having said that, quite a magnificent sight, dont you think? Scared the living wotsits out of Gavi when I came up behind him one afternoon ! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And that was before you set your dog on us!!!!!

No Regrets

Visit site
It sounds a bit like grown men playing Admirals to me....all this saluting people and dressing up.....

Or am I just a Philistine? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I can understand the need for an immaculate Boat, and a pride in ones appearance, but isn't this all taking things too far?

And do they have handlebar moustaches? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

apollo

Visit site
Personally would not have a problem in paying respects, but do feel a complete wally pretending to be a sailor while I am doing it!!

No Regrets

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Do you never pay your respects to anyone who has done something worthwhile?

[/ QUOTE ]

Certainly. But does it have to be done in such a pretentious way?

Surely a handshake in the club bar would suffice.....

or am I a Philistine? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

byron

RIP
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It sounds a bit like grown men playing Admirals to me....all this saluting people and dressing up.....

Or am I just a Philistine? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I can understand the need for an immaculate Boat, and a pride in ones appearance, but isn't this all taking things too far?

And do they have handlebar moustaches? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

My personal opinion. I have been around boats since before I was born, as a Sperm in my father I was even torpedoed and sunk 5 times by U Boats.
Yachting was always the last bastion of civilisation, people took a pride in their appearance and yacht clubs had very strict rules. The attitude being if you want to be a slob then go do it somewhere else. Of course in those days boating was financially restricted to people who had a certain background and money didn't buy one in. Even today some Royal Yacht Clubs maintain some of those standards.
Now! Once a year one is asked to remember those times, is that so bad? The ladies like getting their finery on, it makes for a great spectacle and if you don't like it... don't go.

I recall the days when a yacht owner would never be seen in a blazer especially with shiny buttons, would not wear white trousers after 7pm, blazer badges were a definate faux pas these and many other things that have passed into yesteryear.

The plain fact is it is a different class of people yachting today then when I was a kid and before. There's only one club where money can't buy you in (RYS). You guys may like it, I don't I much prefer the days when one met another Yottie one knew one was in the company of a Gentleman.

No Regrets

Visit site
I read your post with interest, but don't quite get the entire picture here.... /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Are you saying the dressing and saluting stuff is for certain occasions? If this is the case, that makes sense.

Saluting people otherwise has an aroma of something more sinister and pompous. I wouldn't want to confuse that with something that is, as you say a last bastion, and to be highly commended thee days though, nor am I aiming to demean tradition as such, although probably failing dismally, in which case please accept my humblest apologies.....

So, would one of you learned gentlemen be so kind as to give me chapter and verse of boating etiquetee:-

1. On a day to day basis

2/ When attending certain functions and events

I would be most grateful, if you have the time. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brayman

Visit site
I have just read your boat blog and had to smile. The Broom 33 pictured is actually taking part in the ODCC sail past at Byron's with Pheran making ready to salute the Commodore! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The blog's coming along nicely.

DogsBody

Visit site
Not quite chapter and verse but I can think of three occasions per year in my boating calendar where a salute is required / expected:

ATYC Dinner in February - Black tie affair at Phillis Court, Henley.

TVR - During the sail past on Sunday afternoon (You don't have to take part or indeed salute but it is encouraged).

Bray Cruiser Club's annual sail past - Same principle as TVR sail past above.

Not exactly a burden and I think its a bit of fun if not taken too seriously.

Darren.