fitting outboard on transom

G

Hi,

I've just bought a 2.5 mariner outboard for my Wayfarer dinghy. It will be used only occasionally for getting in and out of tight spots, exploring creeks etc, (probably used even less as my sailing improves! I'm a beginner!!).

It appears that most people mount their outboards onto a bracket to keep the engine from fouling the main sheet traveller. Apart from the advantage of keeping the outboard permanently mounted, is there any reason why I can't mount the outboard directly to the transom? It's fairly light so I should be able to attach and detach the motor as and when I need it.

I have checked the position of the prop in the water when mounted in this way and all seems well. My only concern is that I may damage the transom, I will of course fit pads to prevent the gel coat from being scratched. I wouldn't have thought that there would be any more stress on the transom when mounted this way than when on a bracket. Above all these outboard brackets seem very expensive, it may be something I'll invest in the future but for now I need to stop spending money! This sailing lark is expensive!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

Mat

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
if it doesn't foul the rudder or the sheet you should be OK.

but... on a grp wayfarer you need to check that you're not clamping onto a hollow moulding which could flex and allow the motor to fall off. if it is hollow you can probably get in through the aft tank to glue a block of wood inside the transom moulding to prevent it compressing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

KeithH

Visit site
We have tried 2 solutions - the permanent one is to screw two pieces of ply to the transom - one on the inside and one on the outside to take the pressure of the o/b clamp. This was centred to the left of centre of the transom, so it does not foul the rudder pintles. The outboard clamp goes over the mainsheet traveller (it was stern sheeted). You need to remove the rudder to make it work of course.

The second solution was used in a boat without the plywood pad fitted, and you need some protection of the gelcoat from the outboard screw clamps. This was simply two bits of ply tied together with two pieces of thin cord. You place one piece of ply each side of the transom, and then put on the engine. (If you cannot visualise what I mean, think of a man wearing a sandwich board) The screw clamps then bear on the ply rather than the gel coat. The pieces of cord make it easier to fit the engine, without 3 pairs of hands. I suggest that you try this at first, and then go for the permanent fixing if that is OK.

I think if you go for the fancy stand-off bracket, you can leave the rudder in place. But I think that these large brackets look horrible on the back of a dinghy.

<hr width=100% size=1>KeithH