Fitting new Transducer

JonoSlatter

Visit site
I have a Nasa Clipper Duet on my Beneteau First 26. The Log has stopped working and I need to replace the transducer. Can anyone offer any advice on changing this. I'm a little apprehensive about taking the old one out with the boat in the water.

Thanks,

Jono
Poole UK

<hr width=100% size=1>

DanTribe

Visit site
Are you sure that you need a new transducer ? If you haven't been removing it regularly it is probably just gunged up, they need cleaning fairly often.
There was much correspondence here recently regarding whether or not it can be done afloat.
It can.
Dan

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
Agreed about cleaaning the transducer, I use an old toothbrush. When you take the transducer out there should be a plug to fit in the hole, if you do not have one and cannot get one, take your shoe off and put you foot over the hole, the ball of your big toe is usually enough for this.

<hr width=100% size=1>Chris Stannard

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
I just removed my Nasa Target log transducer tonight on the mooring to clean the beasties out in the hope it wil start working again. It's a bit scary to see just how fast water comes in through a 30mm hole, but I got the blanking plug on with only a couple of litres in the bilge, and the same putting it back.

Get the sealing cap from allgadgets.com

<font size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bluemoment.com>http://www.bluemoment.com</font size=1>

tillergirl

Visit site
I agree with the two posts above. Get yourself a tube of silicon grease and apply to the transducer before you put it back. I always find you get wet putting it back and the grease makes it much easier to get back (and out again next time). If it is hard to withdraw, twist it gently back and forth.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mtb

Visit site
Core what a news story
BLOKE SINKS BOAT WITH BIG TOE
No way would I chance a boat trying to do a job on the transducer, I dought the insurance company would pay .

Cheers
Mick

<hr width=100% size=1>

extravert

Not far from Uwchmynydd, near Bwlchtocyn, just up
Visit site
In some places where fouling is bad this job has to be done many times a season. I had to clean my impellor regularly when my boat was at Maryport. If you are not prepared to do this in these places you might as well not have this type of log at all, because it won't work for long.

It's not difficult or dangerous and there's nothing really that can go wrong that would sink the boat, other than keeling over dead half way through. It's still damp and unpleasant though.

<hr width=100% size=1>Adventures of the VAT unpaid <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.xrayted.fsnet.co.uk>Teddy Bear Boat</A>

philwebb

Visit site
I agree with the other respondents- job is straightforward, especially if you have a cap.
If not the heel of your hand will stop the flow of water - there is little pressure as you are only 30 or 40cm below the water surface. Have an assistant if possible to clean the
paddle wheel. If you dont like the idea of a little water in the bilge you could dry out
against a wall or on a scrubbing grid.
Regards, Phil

<hr width=100% size=1>