Fitting a kill cord to a Seagull.

sarabande

Visit site
I have the tiny Featherweight 2hp, and want to fit a kill cord to it, especially as it is direct drive to the propeller.

I don't fancy a system of earthing the HT lead, so what suggestions please , team ?

View attachment 52312

Spyro

Visit site
I fitted one to a 3.5 Johnson but it had a plastic casing that I drilled and mounted the switch on. The switch and lanyard was only a few pounds on ebay. I just cut into the wire going to the stop button, basically it just earths the ignition. You could probably find somewhere to strap a switch to on the handle.

I would probably try something like this on the handle.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycl...601?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4ad688cd61

James_Calvert

Visit site
I always understood that the way to stop a Seagull in emergency was to stick your hand over the air intake.

Guess you'd have to stay on board for that though.

Exactly what Seagull powered manoeuvre did you have in mind that might throw you overboard anyway? Whatever it is, wouldn't it be simpler just never to do it?

VicS

Visit site
I have the tiny Featherweight 2hp, and want to fit a kill cord to it, especially as it is direct drive to the propeller.

I don't fancy a system of earthing the HT lead, so what suggestions please , team ?

View attachment 52312

You dont say exactly what model.

What is the number ( inparticular the first group of letters) stamped on the flange at the top of the drive shaft tube

If its one with points ignition ( but I dont think it is) then it may be possible to fit a switch to short the points to earth .

The MK4 Wipac CD ignition system has the provision to fit a kill switch. I'm not sure about the MK3 Wipac Its breaker less but it looks as though it may be posible to connect a kill switch

It may be worth asking on the Saving old Seagulls forum, but quote the model details if you do!

http://www.saving-old-seagulls.co.uk/phpbb3/

There is quite a bit of info on the SOS forums so worth also doing a search

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site

I dont think it has points ignition. Either a Mk3 or Mk4 Wipac I am sure

Mk3
wip3out.jpg

Mk4
wip4s.jpg

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
If you follow the link in my earlier post it goes to a discusion on the SOS site. Weirdly someone in that thread links back to YBW.
One option offered is to tie a cord to your wrist and the other end to the HT lead!

sarabande

Visit site
the motor number is EF27E8, which makes it produced in May 1988. It's as near as a dammit unused :) with no paint at all off the leading edge of the prop, unlike my venerable
Silver Century (1960s)

I've been speaking with John on Saving Old Seagulls - marvellous source of knowledge - and have ordered some oil/grease/plug etc for use in a spares box in the dinghy.

I'll look at the WIPAC CD ignition later to see if I can find which version. Thanks to both VicS and LS, and everyone else of course :)

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've been pondering this, and have been edging towards a 1/4" jack plug socket in the end of the tiller with the LT across it and enabled by a shorted out jack plug on a lanyard. Only at daydream stage so far.

VicS

Visit site
the motor number is EF27E8, which makes it produced in May 1988. It's as near as a dammit unused :) with no paint at all off the leading edge of the prop, unlike my venerable
Silver Century (1960s)

I've been speaking with John on Saving Old Seagulls - marvellous source of knowledge - and have ordered some oil/grease/plug etc for use in a spares box in the dinghy.

I'll look at the WIPAC CD ignition later to see if I can find which version. Thanks to both VicS and LS, and everyone else of course :)

Could be Mk 3 or Mk 4 then. You can apparently ID them from a slight difference in the flywheel although If you are going to fit the switch you'll have to get inside anyway.

cdiflywheels.jpg

Lakesailor

Visit site
I've been pondering this, and have been edging towards a 1/4" jack plug socket in the end of the tiller with the LT across it and enabled by a shorted out jack plug on a lanyard. Only at daydream stage so far.

A jack plug will only disconnect if the pulkl is in-line. A proper kill switch is the way forward.

old_salt

Visit site
I dont think it has points ignition. Either a Mk3 or Mk4 Wipac I am sure

Mk3
wip3out.jpg

Mk4
wip4s.jpg

It it is anything like the above photo then:-
Is the clear cable with the pan head screw, it looks like it is a low tension ground from the generator coil if it is then if it is disconnected from ground does it kill the spark if so then fit your kill cord switch in to it.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Carry a waterproof mobile with Dylan Winter's number on speed dial. If you fall in, call him and he will appear to wrestle the Seagull to a stop for you.